Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Especially when working as a team.
It's reminded me of a high altitude aerial battle I captured on a 5DIII and Tamron 150-600mm between a Sparrowhawk and Crow. The really tiny images were too soft for my then software to process but you have inspired me to sharpen them with Topaz, which has worked.

2U4A1471DxO_sparrowhawk_vs_crow-isssss.jpeg2U4A1462DxO_sparrowhawk_vs_crow-isssss.jpeg2U4A1456DxO_sparrowhawk_vs_crow-issss.jpeg2U4A1455DxO_sparrowhawk_vs_crow-issss.jpeg2U4A1450DxO_sparrowhawk_vs_crow-issss.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Crows are fearless. They will see off predators.
Depends on the species Alan: the endemic Hawaiian Crow is extinct in the nature. There is strong effort to get it back - based on ~100 (and increasing ##) birds in captivity because of good program of breeding... There are ~3(?) attempts to return some restricted numbers (like 3-5) of birds back to the natural habitat (all this on Big Island because they are endemic exactly there - non on the other Hawaiian Islands!!!). One of the main reasons for failing (at least in the first 2 attempts) was... another endemic for the Big Island bird - the Hawaiian Hawk! The Hawaiian Hawk is smaller than the regular Hawk (Buteo buteo) that you see in England but it obviously prays very efficiently on the Crow. One reason (my opinion, not supported by study...) could be exactly a lack of collective effort from the reintroduced Crows (see the comment from bjd above) to defend collectively themselves (simply because of the small ### of released birds or they just lack some of the instincts of their ancestors?). Any way - the attempts to reintroduce the Hawaiian Crow are going on and I hope they will succeed! It's really smart bird (search the Internet for some videos - you may have some fun looking at them!!!) and I would love to get a photo of one of them in their natural habitat (well, if I'm still alive when they got effectively reintroduced there:unsure:)!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Depends on the species Alan: the endemic Hawaiian Crow is extinct in the nature. There is strong effort to get it back - based on ~100 (and increasing ##) birds in captivity because of good program of breeding... There are ~3(?) attempts to return some restricted numbers (like 3-5) of birds back to the natural habitat (all this on Big Island because they are endemic exactly there - non on the other Hawaiian Islands!!!). One of the main reasons for failing (at least in the first 2 attempts) was... another endemic for the Big Island bird - the Hawaiian Hawk! The Hawaiian Hawk is smaller than the regular Hawk (Buteo buteo) that you see in England but it obviously prays very efficiently on the Crow. One reason (my opinion, not supported by study...) could be exactly a lack of collective effort from the reintroduced Crows (see the comment from bjd above) to defend collectively themselves (simply because of the small ### of released birds or they just lack some of the instincts of their ancestors?). Any way - the attempts to reintroduce the Hawaiian Crow are going on and I hope they will succeed! It's really smart bird (search the Internet for some videos - you may have some fun looking at them!!!) and I would love to get a photo of one of them in their natural habitat (well, if I'm still alive when they got effectively reintroduced there:unsure:)!
Over here, Buteo buteo is called a Buzzard whereas in your part of the world a buzzard is a Turkey Vulture.

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
I had a chance to try my Canon 100-400 II on a R5 body. It worked well. The morning was very foggy, but I was amazed how reliably the camera found focus not only on sitting or walking, but also on flying birds. R5 can definitely replace my 5D Mark IV.

338A0089 by Cog2012, on Flickr

338A0163 by Cog2012, on Flickr

338A0026 by Cog2012, on Flickr

338A0151 by Cog2012, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Very nice series, Cog.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I had a chance to try my Canon 100-400 II on a R5 body. It worked well. The morning was very foggy, but I was amazed how reliably the camera found focus not only on sitting or walking, but also on flying birds. R5 can definitely replace my 5D Mark IV.

338A0089 by Cog2012, on Flickr

338A0163 by Cog2012, on Flickr

338A0026 by Cog2012, on Flickr

338A0151 by Cog2012, on Flickr
Great photos, Cog.

It's interesting to hear yet another "mirrored" Canon photographer say the "mirrorless" body works better for them with their EF lenses - enough to replace their mirrored body. This leads me to think that the "mirrorless" R1 could be the final puzzle piece where we see could soon see a majority of mirrorless Canon shooters at the most prestigious events in the future. That, to me, will be the final evidence of the mirrorless wave taking over with the "top level" professional photographers.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Great photos, Cog.

It's interesting to hear yet another "mirrored" Canon photographer say the "mirrorless" body works better for them with their EF lenses - enough to replace their mirrored body. This leads me to think that the "mirrorless" R1 could be the final puzzle piece where we see could soon see a majority of mirrorless Canon shooters at the most prestigious events in the future. That, to me, will be the final evidence of the mirrorless wave taking over with the "top level" professional photographers.
In other words the positives outweigh the negatives. I just wish they'd forget about keeping some features that are 1 level from other high level cameras. This idea of holding that the 1 level is flagship seems ridiculous given its traditional low MP count that they seem determined to stick to. Will they finally wake up?

Jack

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
In other words the positives outweigh the negatives. I just wish they'd forget about keeping some features that are 1 level from other high level cameras. This idea of holding that the 1 level is flagship seems ridiculous given its traditional low MP count that they seem determined to stick to. Will they finally wake up?

Jack

Upvote 0