Show your Bird Portraits

DanP

EOS M6 Mark II
CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Hawk ID help please.

I've tried to match these two hawks to images in my two bird books, but I'm still uncertain as to what they are. I've included 2 pictures of the first one with different head positions. I think it's either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. The second one I have no idea. For context, these were taken at Ladner, BC in Dec 2020 & Jan 2021. Anybody know what these are? Thanks.
054A3386 Mystery Hawk No. 1 - 5X5.jpg
054A3387 Mystery Hawk No. 1 5X5.jpg
054A1843 5.3X8.jpg

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Hawk ID help please.

I've tried to match these two hawks to images in my two bird books, but I'm still uncertain as to what they are. I've included 2 pictures of the first one with different head positions. I think it's either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. The second one I have no idea. For context, these were taken at Ladner, BC in Dec 2020 & Jan 2021. Anybody know what these are? Thanks. View attachment 195904 View attachment 195905 View attachment 195906
Does look like a Cooper's hawk to me in the first two. The third might be a juvenile Cooper's Hawk but it is hard to differentiate from the Sharp-Skinned.

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I was hunting for Black-footed Albatross this weekend. Didn't find it (single{?} bird regularly visiting one of the two colonies of the Laysan Albatross on the Island).
First photo from ~60 meters, the other two ~30 meters.
Sorry but I didn't get an option for full image?!

Attachments

• DSC_1063_DxO.jpg
    DSC_1063_DxO.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_1339_DxO.jpg
    DSC_1339_DxO.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_1498_DxO.jpg
    DSC_1498_DxO.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 41

tron

EOS R5
CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Some blackbirds are singing right now close to my balcony. These birds are very naughty this season. They come close and sing either after sunset or before sunrise!

The rest time of the day they are elsewhere :D
850_3703_DxO.JPG
850_3708_DxO.JPG

Not my best blackbird pictures (and not even good pictures, plus the flash has ruined the eye) but I just wanted to show what I meant above.
They come exactly the same time every day (hmm night!) so I was prepared :D This time they were 2 street blocks away.

Last edited:

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
I thought, at first, I was seeing sensor dust. But I checked and it is just blurred stuff on the water. R5 with adapted EF 100-400 MKii and 1.4x using ISO 2000, f/8/

Attachments

• CAV_0811-Edit-2.jpg
    CAV_0811-Edit-2.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 26

jmeyer

http://www.jmeyerphotography.net/
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
www.jmeyerphotography.net
Hawk ID help please.

I've tried to match these two hawks to images in my two bird books, but I'm still uncertain as to what they are. I've included 2 pictures of the first one with different head positions. I think it's either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. The second one I have no idea. For context, these were taken at Ladner, BC in Dec 2020 & Jan 2021. Anybody know what these are? Thanks.

The first two are Cooper's Hawk and the last one is a Rough-legged Hawk. Nice shots!

Jeremy

DanP

EOS M6 Mark II
CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Does look like a Cooper's hawk to me in the first two. The third might be a juvenile Cooper's Hawk but it is hard to differentiate from the Sharp-Skinned.
Thanks for your input JPAZ. This was the first and only time I saw a Cooper's hawk in the area (and the only time I've ever seen one). I turned around at it was just sitting there. I took a few pictures before trying to creep closer, but as soon as I moved it took off. I haven't seen it since. I've never seen a Sharp-Shinned hawk. There is an adult Rough-legged hawk in the area, so I think jmeyer's id (further on in this chain) of Rough-legged hawk makes perfect sense. Hawks seem to have so many morphs it's hard for an amateur to tell the difference between some of the hawk species. The adult vs. juvenile differences make it even more complex.

Reactions: JPAZ
<-- start Taboola -->