Show your Bird Portraits

That image makes my Tamron 150-600 G1 look mediocre.;)
Every lens has its silver lining. If you can tolerate its min focus distance and ISO due to f/11, this RF 800mm is a good performer. I had a Sigma 60-600 and it was also very good in its own sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I was hunting for Black-footed Albatross this weekend. Didn't find it (single{?} bird regularly visiting one of the two colonies of the Laysan Albatross on the Island).
First photo from ~60 meters, the other two ~30 meters.
Sorry but I didn't get an option for full image?!

Attachments

• DSC_1063_DxO.jpg
    DSC_1063_DxO.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_1339_DxO.jpg
    DSC_1339_DxO.jpg
    611 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_1498_DxO.jpg
    DSC_1498_DxO.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Some blackbirds are singing right now close to my balcony. These birds are very naughty this season. They come close and sing either after sunset or before sunrise!

The rest time of the day they are elsewhere :D
850_3703_DxO.JPG850_3708_DxO.JPG
Not my best blackbird pictures (and not even good pictures, plus the flash has ruined the eye) but I just wanted to show what I meant above.
They come exactly the same time every day (hmm night!) so I was prepared :D This time they were 2 street blocks away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Hawk ID help please.

I've tried to match these two hawks to images in my two bird books, but I'm still uncertain as to what they are. I've included 2 pictures of the first one with different head positions. I think it's either a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. The second one I have no idea. For context, these were taken at Ladner, BC in Dec 2020 & Jan 2021. Anybody know what these are? Thanks.

The first two are Cooper's Hawk and the last one is a Rough-legged Hawk. Nice shots!

Jeremy

Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Does look like a Cooper's hawk to me in the first two. The third might be a juvenile Cooper's Hawk but it is hard to differentiate from the Sharp-Skinned.
Thanks for your input JPAZ. This was the first and only time I saw a Cooper's hawk in the area (and the only time I've ever seen one). I turned around at it was just sitting there. I took a few pictures before trying to creep closer, but as soon as I moved it took off. I haven't seen it since. I've never seen a Sharp-Shinned hawk. There is an adult Rough-legged hawk in the area, so I think jmeyer's id (further on in this chain) of Rough-legged hawk makes perfect sense. Hawks seem to have so many morphs it's hard for an amateur to tell the difference between some of the hawk species. The adult vs. juvenile differences make it even more complex.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Thanks Jeremy. I will go with Cooper's hawk and Rough-legged hawk . Do you think the rough-legged hawk is a juvenile? There is at least one adult in the area, and I think it is a female.
It looks like an adult male light morph. You are welcome.

Jeremy

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Very nice shots, ISv. I especially like the first one. Well done.
The difference is that the first one was taken when I was entering the spot - still enthusiastic to see the Black-footed Albatross! The last two were taken on my way back when I was very disappointed... The only good thing that happen shortly after that was a meeting a woman on her way to the spot. She noticed my camera and asked: "Did you see the Black-footed"? - "No, it's not there" - "OMG don't tell me this - it's my fifth attempt to see it".
I immediately started feeling better (something like "well, may be one day I can shoot it - if I'm persistent":LOL:!

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Still impressed how Animal eye AF works in R5. It almost never fails with larger animals in the frame, regardless the direction of their look:
Animal eye AF - cat by Cog2012, on Flickr

It missed a few times with smaller birds in the distance, but still was able to track the eye most of the time:
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 13.44.52 by Cog2012, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I was able to watch a Merlin eat a Dark-eyed Junco this afternoon, on my way home from work. Perfect timing, I guess! But beware, the following photos are not for the faint-hearted. 7D mkll / EF 600 f4 ll / 1.4x lll

Jeremy

View attachment 196005View attachment 196006View attachment 196007View attachment 196008View attachment 196009View attachment 196010View attachment 196011View attachment 196012
Great shots Jeremy, just thinking how many shots I have missed by not having my camera with me on my way home from work. :)

• Love
Upvote 0