Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
"Carolina(I assume) Chickadee:" - they are really difficult to separate from the Black-caped.
See this also link: https://www.sibleyguides.com/bird-info/black-capped-chickadee/black-capped-carolina-chickadee/

From what I see in your photo the greater wing covers are too dark for Black-caped. In the Black-caped they are with more white at the edges.
Otherwise most of the little differences are better visible in photos taken at closer distance and nearly perfect light/angle.
Thanks, ISv. I can't tell enough of a difference in looking online, but my Richmond Kentucky location is in the range of the Carolina variety (but not that far from the other's range) so I'm just making that assumption.

Now, if you see my "mourning dove" photos, I'd be interested to hear if that name is correct. I'm just guessing based on a quick scan of the internet and I'd rather not be using an incorrect name.

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack, the 400 DO II with 2xTC is brilliant on the R5. The AF is transformed from what it was on the 5DIV and 5DSR for me - I never used the 400mm DO II with the 2xTC on the 5DSR, and found the accuracy of the 800mm on the 5DIV a bit variable. On the R5, at 800mm it is at least as quick as the R 100-500mm, tracks at least as well, and, most importantly, the AF is very precise. I have posted some moon shots with a 2xTC + 3xTC at 2400mm f/24, where the AF was good!
Alan
Thanks, Alan. The job that was to be "paid" by me purchasing an R5 is over but now it's immediately into a bathroom reno job so once again I lack spare time but... the boss has given the go-ahead so an R5 purchase is maybe days away. All the feedback says it's a no-brainer. CR and its great contributors come through all the time!:)

Reactions: pape2 and usern4cr

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks, ISv. I can't tell enough of a difference in looking online, but my Richmond Kentucky location is in the range of the Carolina variety (but not that far from the other's range) so I'm just making that assumption.

Now, if you see my "mourning dove" photos, I'd be interested to hear if that name is correct. I'm just guessing based on a quick scan of the internet and I'd rather not be using an incorrect name.
Here is a couple of African Mourning Doves I took in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. They have larger black patches on their necks, but yours seem consistent with internet images of the American Mourning Dove, which I now gather is unrelated (5DIV + 400mm DO II +2xTC).

2B4A6892-DxO_mourning_doves-1.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

On page 1129 you posted photos of typical (American) Mourning dove (except the colors:)). Your last post is taken in such an angle (and again the colors!) that makes the ID more difficult, but if the photo is taken in USA I hardly can think about something else than Mourning dove.
Concerning the African Mourning dove - it's in different genus of doves (Streptopelia - same as the Eurasian Colored Dove). The American Mourning dove is in genus Zenaida.

Reactions: tron and usern4cr

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
On page 1129 you posted photos of typical (American) Mourning dove (except the colors:)). Your last post is taken in such an angle (and again the colors!) that makes the ID more difficult, but if the photo is taken in USA I hardly can think about something else than Mourning dove.
Concerning the African Mourning dove - it's in different genus of doves (Streptopelia - same as the Eurasian Colored Dove). The American Mourning dove is in genus Zenaida.
ISv you're a genus genius.

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Yeah, it is a fairly grey bird. But PL4 can accentuate color hidden within it sometimes when "asked to". One of my friend calls it putting "ketchup" on it. I try not to put too much on it as it get kind of a "burned" look (eg. too much contrast), so the more I adjust birds in post the less ketchup I add and I think they're slowly getting better because of it.

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Here is a couple of African Mourning Doves I took in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. They have larger black patches on their necks, but yours seem consistent with internet images of the American Mourning Dove, which I now gather is unrelated (5DIV + 400mm DO II +2xTC).

View attachment 196719
Thanks, AlanF. I'm pretty new to birding. Covid hunkering down has caused me to switch gears away from travel & flower photos towards my new kitten/cat and bird photos above our feeder.

HenryL

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Not much activity yesterday, and exposure was a hassle thanks to the sun constantly ducking in and out behind clouds. A little more variety in the targets this outing, though...

I love the early morning light these days
R5_101_7736.jpg

R5_101_7745.jpg

Whatchoo lookin' at???
R5_101_7830.jpg

I see these little guys every time I'm out at this park, never have I seen one come out and pose for me like this guy did.
R5_101_8692_Edit.jpg

Last edited:

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA

Bing has a handy website tool to look up varieties of birds. Just add your image and Bing will attempt to local similar images. This generally has links to websites with the type of bird. This is what I typically do when trying to find out the name of a bird. https://www.bing.com/visualsearch

Reactions: usern4cr and AlanF

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
More Winter photos (R5 & RF 100-500L)

Carolina chickadee:
View attachment 196721

House finch:
View attachment 196722

View attachment 196723

Northern cardinal:
View attachment 196724

View attachment 196725
Thanks, AlanF. I'm pretty new to birding. Covid hunkering down has caused me to switch gears away from travel & flower photos towards my new kitten/cat and bird photos above our feeder.
Well done! It’s a great hobby and you really have taken to it.

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
More Winter photos. An occasional photo from a previous brief scan of this huge folder may have been included in the much bigger list of photos here that I'm showing after an in-depth review of this folder. (It feels scary to click a button to delete almost 3,000 photos after you've gone over them and they need to be discarded). Canon: you *need* to allow slower rates than 20 FPS for fully electronic shutter use.

House finch:
A01_8608_1_2k95%.jpg

Northern cardinal.
I wish the focus was sharper, but when birds bolt they don't give any warning.
A01_8678_1_2k95%.jpg

A01_8790_1_2k95%.jpg

House finch:
A01_8862_1_2k95%.jpg

Northern cardinal:
A01_8936_1_2k95%.jpg

Last edited:
<-- start Taboola -->