Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice photo, Click.

I've found that shots like this (to me) tend to really burn out the white(highlight) in the bird image since it's the only bright thing in the scene, and it's a small percentage of the area, and the rest is pretty dark. So unless you expose your shot at -2(or so) stops I end up with burnt out highlights which make seeing feather detail impossible. Some of my previous posts have a bit of burnout in the heads of birds from the sun since I didn't underexpose(or bracket) the image. I often try to bracket my exposures as -2, -1, 0 to avoid cases like this, but then I get triple the shots to wade through in post (and I already take too many) so it's a trade-off. Sometimes I just set it to -1/3 or -2/3 and take single exposures and tolerate a little loss of shadow in order to avoid most burnout and too many photos in post.
I always underexpose this type of image, and it's got a lot easier using the evf - as I have written a couple of times - I shoot fully manual and adjust the exposure manually to what I think is right. With these modern sensors you can push through s couple of stops with no loss of IQ if you underexpose in RAW. Here's a typical one from this year that I don't think I posted.

309A5977-DxO_Little_Egret.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I always underexpose this type of image, and it's got a lot easier using the evf - as I have written a couple of times - I shoot fully manual and adjust the exposure manually to what I think is right. With these modern sensors you can push through s couple of stops with no loss of IQ if you underexpose in RAW. Here's a typical one from this year that I don't think I posted.

View attachment 199557
Great photo!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA

View attachment 199557
Such a beautiful bird. I certainly learned a lot this past winter while trying to photograph my white dog in a white snow storm! lol. Underexpose. The nice thing with the R5 is that you can recover quite a bit in Lightroom.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Ladner, BC. It’s the same bird in each photo. They are easy to photograph there as a lot of them will let you walk right up to them. Some will eat out of your hand, if you are so inclined.
Wow, and there was me in Haida Gwaii at 5 AM trying desperately trying to sneak up to a flock with hardly any success and from quite a distance. :(;)

Just Googled and boy that's a cool place.

Jack

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

View attachment 199557
Nice photo with good feather detail

Upvote 0