Feb 12, 2021
WA
Just a duck and his Riverdance solo!:rolleyes:
Duck - K1A3524.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Novelty combined with some very nice shots!
Later in the evening I read that it's considered practically extirpated on Oahu and Molokai! It can explain why I have never seen it before on Oahu and why there are not substantiated records for the island in the last years.
Anyway - thanks for the "very nice shots"!
The one below: I had no idea what to do with it. I shot small burst between the branches. The head got in good focus and after the cropping I can use this as a "real portrait":)!

DSC_9368_DxO.jpg

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice shots Alen. Yup I’m right there with you on keeper rate with the little birds. I figure if I start shooting large birds at some point it should be much easier.
I'm not sure what exactly Alan means but in my case even at the 10fps that my camera can do (and probably because I shoot from tripod!) I have a problem with several photos of the practically same quality - from the same burst. Trying to figure out which one is "the best" is kind of painful.
On other hand! In the case like the shooting of the Hwamei when you are strongly restricted in your movement (in the excitement and the frenzy of shooting you realize it just after you crash in branches or just kick a fallen one:)) the fast fps are very useful: because of the wind and the movement of the branches you are in a problem with the framing. When you shoot at close distances (in my particular case 5-9 meters - can't get it further because of all the obstacles between you and the object) the higher fps are are very useful - you may find one where the bird is sitting slightly better in the frame:)!

Reactions: usern4cr and JPAZ

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Because of the tripod and rather high speed (1/800s at ISO 1600). And the usual added sharpens in PL4 +0.66 (at stable ground for the tripod I decrease the sharpening or ignore it at all for this lens). No sharpening for detail or Local sharpening (in this particular case!). The problem there was the ground under the tripod - some dry leafs with a gravel underneath. When you chase a bird jumping from branch to branch and tree to tree you don't choose the ground under your tripod:) - you better use it more like monopod...
On other hand my best photos in this case came from ISO 2500, 1/50-60 to 1/125s - with more time to make the tripod acting as a tripod:D!

Last edited:

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Later in the evening I read that it's considered practically extirpated on Oahu and Molokai! It can explain why I have never seen it before on Oahu and why there are not substantiated records for the island in the last years.
Anyway - thanks for the "very nice shots"!
The one below: I had no idea what to do with it. I shot small burst between the branches. The head got in good focus and after the cropping I can use this as a "real portrait":)!

View attachment 199466
Nice detail. What kind of bird is this?

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Last edited:

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
European Buzzard flew overhead for a few seconds this afternoon as I was photographing butterflies. Fortunately, the R5 was at 1/2500s so I didn't lose the shot.

View attachment 199492 View attachment 199493
It just proves the universality of your lens (most probably RF 100-500?). And also the very good performance for both tasks (close ups to "not that close ups")!

Reactions: usern4cr and AlanF