Canada
The sharpness is excellent.
a025.gif

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Because of the tripod and rather high speed (1/800s at ISO 1600). And the usual added sharpens in PL4 +0.66 (at stable ground for the tripod I decrease the sharpening or ignore it at all for this lens). No sharpening for detail or Local sharpening (in this particular case!). The problem there was the ground under the tripod - some dry leafs with a gravel underneath. When you chase a bird jumping from branch to branch and tree to tree you don't choose the ground under your tripod:) - you better use it more like monopod...
On other hand my best photos in this case came from ISO 2500, 1/50-60 to 1/125s - with more time to make the tripod acting as a tripod:D!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Later in the evening I read that it's considered practically extirpated on Oahu and Molokai! It can explain why I have never seen it before on Oahu and why there are not substantiated records for the island in the last years.
Anyway - thanks for the "very nice shots"!
The one below: I had no idea what to do with it. I shot small burst between the branches. The head got in good focus and after the cropping I can use this as a "real portrait":)!

View attachment 199466
Nice detail. What kind of bird is this?

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
European Buzzard flew overhead for a few seconds this afternoon as I was photographing butterflies. Fortunately, the R5 was at 1/2500s so I didn't lose the shot.

View attachment 199492View attachment 199493
It just proves the universality of your lens (most probably RF 100-500?). And also the very good performance for both tasks (close ups to "not that close ups")!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
That's because you guys don't know the difference between a Turkey Vulture and a Buzzard.

View attachment 199501
Haha. Yes we call them the same thing. Funny you just posted this because I saw about 10 of them circling over our neighborhood a couple of days ago. I couldn't make out what they were because they were too far away so I grabbed my 100-500 and shot a couple pics to see if I could determine what they were. I was a able to bring the shadows up just enough to determine they were Turkey Vultures. Anyway I wish they had come closer so I could have gotten some shots like yours. Nice job.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Haha. Yes we call them the same thing. Funny you just posted this because I saw about 10 of them circling over our neighborhood a couple of days ago. I couldn't make out what they were because they were too far away so I grabbed my 100-500 and shot a couple pics to see if I could determine what they were. I was a able to bring the shadows up just enough to determine they were Turkey Vultures. Anyway I wish they had come closer so I could have gotten some shots like yours. Nice job.
Two countries divided by different languages!

Upvote 0