Show your Bird Portraits

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I actually saw a small bird today - a little brown job of a Reed Warbler, but it was a bird. Took 300 shots and kept 3 - that's 20 fps on the R5.

View attachment 199404View attachment 199405
Nice shots Alen. Yup I’m right there with you on keeper rate with the little birds. I figure if I start shooting large birds at some point it should be much easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The return migration started a couple of weeks ago for some species. I had this little Red Necked Phalarope plop down in the inlet just behind me and slowly get pushed towards me by the rising tidal current.
SDR145001A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4 1/1600 : f/8 : ISO 800

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
In the last ~3 weeks there were sporadic reports for a Chinese Hwamei on that spot. Finally got a time to go there and look for it.
My first encounter of Chinese Hwamei (~20 years on Oahu, Hawaii)!!! I knew they breed on the islands but I was like "forget it" for Oahu. On the other islands it seems to be little bit more frequent (but still very uncommon or, may be hard to see).
The last photo is to illustrate how you usually can see it - foraging on the ground.
This is my second new species (in my collection) for this year!

DSC_9331_DxO.jpgDSC_9391_DxO.jpgDSC_9416_DxO.jpgDSC_9431_DxO.jpgDSC_9467_DxO.jpgDSC_9495_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
In the last ~3 weeks there were sporadic reports for a Chinese Hwamei on that spot. Finally got a time to go there and look for it.
My first encounter of Chinese Hwamei (~20 years on Oahu, Hawaii)!!! I knew they breed on the islands but I was like "forget it" for Oahu. On the other islands it seems to be little bit more frequent (but still very uncommon or, may be hard to see).
The last photo is to illustrate how you usually can see it - foraging on the ground.

View attachment 199450View attachment 199451View attachment 199452View attachment 199453View attachment 199454View attachment 199455
Novelty combined with some very nice shots!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

View attachment 199450View attachment 199451View attachment 199452View attachment 199453View attachment 199454View attachment 199455
That Hwamei has really beautiful eyes. Great shots, ISv.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Novelty combined with some very nice shots!
Later in the evening I read that it's considered practically extirpated on Oahu and Molokai! It can explain why I have never seen it before on Oahu and why there are not substantiated records for the island in the last years.
Anyway - thanks for the "very nice shots"!
The one below: I had no idea what to do with it. I shot small burst between the branches. The head got in good focus and after the cropping I can use this as a "real portrait":)!

DSC_9368_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice shots Alen. Yup I’m right there with you on keeper rate with the little birds. I figure if I start shooting large birds at some point it should be much easier.
I'm not sure what exactly Alan means but in my case even at the 10fps that my camera can do (and probably because I shoot from tripod!) I have a problem with several photos of the practically same quality - from the same burst. Trying to figure out which one is "the best" is kind of painful.
On other hand! In the case like the shooting of the Hwamei when you are strongly restricted in your movement (in the excitement and the frenzy of shooting you realize it just after you crash in branches or just kick a fallen one:)) the fast fps are very useful: because of the wind and the movement of the branches you are in a problem with the framing. When you shoot at close distances (in my particular case 5-9 meters - can't get it further because of all the obstacles between you and the object) the higher fps are are very useful - you may find one where the bird is sitting slightly better in the frame:)!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0