Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Most people don't realize that Europe is pretty far to the north (particularly as compared to the US--Minneapolis, considered "northern" in the US, is at about the same latitude as Venice). And most don't realize just how little of South America and Africa are south of the equator, Oz is completely south of the equator but even Tasmania is just past 40 degrees south. New Zealand gets to about 45 South, which is the middle of Oregon in the northern hemisphere. There's basically nothing but ocean and Antarctica south of 55 degrees. Very different from the Northern Hemisphere!
Only 45 degrees south? Well, that explains it. We've got a tiny sommarstuga (summer home) in northern Sweden, at almost 65 degrees north. Last time we were there we took a road trip to the topmost part of Europe you can drive to (Nordkapp, Norway). It was about 71 degrees north. It was in the Summer and the sun just runs circles around you, not even reaching down to touch the horizon at midnight. Of course Winter is a different thing there, but we're back in the States for that.

I have been lucky enough to visit New Zealand and Australia, and I must say that New Zealand is the one place where I'd really like to live if I could - the people are beyond friendly, the roads have remarkable "driver reviver" places to rest & snack, and the scenery is stunning. Anyone living there really won the birthplace lottery, in my opinion.

Reactions: RGB49 and SteveC

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I actually saw a small bird today - a little brown job of a Reed Warbler, but it was a bird. Took 300 shots and kept 3 - that's 20 fps on the R5.

309A7672-DxO_reed_warbler.jpg
309A7539-DxO_reed_warbler.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
In the last ~3 weeks there were sporadic reports for a Chinese Hwamei on that spot. Finally got a time to go there and look for it.
My first encounter of Chinese Hwamei (~20 years on Oahu, Hawaii)!!! I knew they breed on the islands but I was like "forget it" for Oahu. On the other islands it seems to be little bit more frequent (but still very uncommon or, may be hard to see).
The last photo is to illustrate how you usually can see it - foraging on the ground.
This is my second new species (in my collection) for this year!

DSC_9331_DxO.jpg
DSC_9391_DxO.jpg
DSC_9416_DxO.jpg
DSC_9431_DxO.jpg
DSC_9467_DxO.jpg
DSC_9495_DxO.jpg

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
In the last ~3 weeks there were sporadic reports for a Chinese Hwamei on that spot. Finally got a time to go there and look for it.
My first encounter of Chinese Hwamei (~20 years on Oahu, Hawaii)!!! I knew they breed on the islands but I was like "forget it" for Oahu. On the other islands it seems to be little bit more frequent (but still very uncommon or, may be hard to see).
The last photo is to illustrate how you usually can see it - foraging on the ground.

View attachment 199450 View attachment 199451 View attachment 199452 View attachment 199453 View attachment 199454 View attachment 199455
Novelty combined with some very nice shots!

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA

View attachment 199450 View attachment 199451 View attachment 199452 View attachment 199453 View attachment 199454 View attachment 199455
That Hwamei has really beautiful eyes. Great shots, ISv.

Reactions: ISv