Show your Bird Portraits

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
A female Black Headed Grosbeak going after some bugs on the out of frame flowers. My composition was off but I really liked the pose she was showing me :) Shot Canon R5 w/ RF 100-500 + 2xTC @ 1000mm, 1/2500th, f/14, ISO 4000 using DxO PureRaw w/ DNG & DeepPrime settings.

That's a very nice shot. Well done, macrunning.

Reactions: macrunning

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
6B93D290-6FF9-445E-BD77-01F2A75A8CFE_1_201_a.jpeg

This is a Toreapango (Variable Oyster Catcher) with a mudcrab on the mudflats at Orewa Estuary (Auckland New Zealand) in a recent storm.
I've been told that this particular bird is at least 28 years old which is pretty good for a wild bird.

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Here is a series of a juvenile male ruby-throated hummingbird. Most of the shots are perched, with a couple of shots with wings expanded. Shot with the 100-500L. The developing iridescent gorget on his throat is visible in the first shot.
Ruby Throat--8.jpg
Their metallic green backs are extremely striking. However, the delicate, subtle color and patterns on the front are truly sublime.

Ruby Throat--6.jpg
I have many HB-in-flight shots, but it's rare for me to capture them perched. Here he's enjoying being able to sip nectar without flapping his wings. Notice that the red gorget is almost invisible here.

Ruby Throat--11.jpg
Wings spread wide

Ruby Throat--13.jpg
Also extremely beautiful are the very delicate black wing feathers. It's hard to appreciate their full beauty when the bird is in flight as it is here with the HB perched.

Ruby Throat--16.jpg
"I own this place!" I love these birds even though they find me to be extremely annoying.

Ruby Throat-2.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here is a series of a juvenile male ruby-throated hummingbird. Most of the shots are perched, with a couple of shots with wings expanded. Shot with the 100-500L. The developing iridescent gorget on his throat is visible in the first shot. View attachment 199311 Their metallic green backs are extremely striking. However, the delicate, subtle color and patterns on the front are truly sublime.

View attachment 199310 I have many HB-in-flight shots, but it's rare for me to capture them perched. Here he's enjoying being able to sip nectar without flapping his wings. Notice that the red gorget is almost invisible here.

View attachment 199312 Wings spread wide

View attachment 199313 Also extremely beautiful are the very delicate black wing feathers. It's hard to appreciate their full beauty when the bird is in flight as it is here with the HB perched.

View attachment 199314 "I own this place!" I love these birds even though they find me to be extremely annoying.

View attachment 199315
These are really good! I just wonder what de-noising program do you use (or it's very high ISO)?

Reactions: Billybob

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
These are really good! I just wonder what de-noising program do you use (or it's very high ISO)?
Thanks!

I use Topaz DeNoise AI and Viveza from the Nik Collection. Even in bright sunshine these shots came out a bit dark (I prefer to shoot at ISO400 and increase brightness in post rather than push the ISO up). I was processing a lot of shots, and I'm still learning how to use Topaz, so there are still some artifacts visible (more visible in the BIF shots I posted in the BIF forum). The eyes were really dark (one of the drawbacks from shooting in bright sunshine) so I used Viveza to bring them out. Unfortunately, I left some light halos in. However, if I decided to print any, these issues would not be difficult to fix.

Reactions: ISv

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thanks , just rain , we never get snow in Auckland. What's OOF blur ?
OOF is (intentional) Out-Of-Focus. I really like lots of smooth background (or foreground) blur.

And you never get snow in Auckland? Wow! I guess the Pacific surrounding you always moderates the temperature, but you're pretty far towards the south pole so I'd have thought you'd get some good snowstorms sometimes.

Reactions: Chig