Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here is a series of a juvenile male ruby-throated hummingbird. Most of the shots are perched, with a couple of shots with wings expanded. Shot with the 100-500L. The developing iridescent gorget on his throat is visible in the first shot.View attachment 199311 Their metallic green backs are extremely striking. However, the delicate, subtle color and patterns on the front are truly sublime.

View attachment 199310I have many HB-in-flight shots, but it's rare for me to capture them perched. Here he's enjoying being able to sip nectar without flapping his wings. Notice that the red gorget is almost invisible here.

View attachment 199312Wings spread wide

View attachment 199313Also extremely beautiful are the very delicate black wing feathers. It's hard to appreciate their full beauty when the bird is in flight as it is here with the HB perched.

View attachment 199314"I own this place!" I love these birds even though they find me to be extremely annoying.

View attachment 199315
These are really good! I just wonder what de-noising program do you use (or it's very high ISO)?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Double-crested Cormorant....and a dragonfly
original.gif

View attachment 199301
The dragonfly was the first thing I notice:ROFLMAO:!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
These are really good! I just wonder what de-noising program do you use (or it's very high ISO)?
Thanks!

I use Topaz DeNoise AI and Viveza from the Nik Collection. Even in bright sunshine these shots came out a bit dark (I prefer to shoot at ISO400 and increase brightness in post rather than push the ISO up). I was processing a lot of shots, and I'm still learning how to use Topaz, so there are still some artifacts visible (more visible in the BIF shots I posted in the BIF forum). The eyes were really dark (one of the drawbacks from shooting in bright sunshine) so I used Viveza to bring them out. Unfortunately, I left some light halos in. However, if I decided to print any, these issues would not be difficult to fix.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thanks , just rain , we never get snow in Auckland. What's OOF blur ?
OOF is (intentional) Out-Of-Focus. I really like lots of smooth background (or foreground) blur.

And you never get snow in Auckland? Wow! I guess the Pacific surrounding you always moderates the temperature, but you're pretty far towards the south pole so I'd have thought you'd get some good snowstorms sometimes.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
These crazy little birds came rolling through our backyard in a matter of 5 minutes like they are the side show circus act rolling through town. It was fun to watch and I was able to grab the camera just quick enough to snap at least 1 in focus shot! lol They moved quickly hanging from branches and chirping in a choir. There were some 20-30 of them gleefully moving through like it was a choreographed dance. What they lack in color they surely made up for with entertainment. It was fun to watch the Bushtit, even if it was only for a few minutes. A first for me. Also the only North American of it's family. Bushtit - K1A3166.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
These crazy little birds came rolling through our backyard in a matter of 5 minutes like they are the side show circus act rolling through town. It was fun to watch and I was able to grab the camera just quick enough to snap at least 1 in focus shot! lol They moved quickly hanging from branches and chirping in a choir. There were some 20-30 of them gleefully moving through like it was a choreographed dance. What they lack in color they surely made up for with entertainment. It was fun to watch the Bushtit, even if it was only for a few minutes. A first for me. Also the only North American of it's family. View attachment 199355
I think they came to your backyard to clean it from insects:D!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0