Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I afraid not many people will agree (me included:)!) - I still prefer the IQ of the last two... How to say it - they are just better photos (at least for me). BTW - these are pretty much the natural colors - I just warmed up little in PL5 to somewhat eliminate (to some extent) the bluish cast from that sky. If you think the colors of the bill and around the eyes are exaggerated - they are not!
Anyway - thanks for the support (I mean for the first two photos that I don't actually like - I may miss something there but NOT! They are just banal photos of Wandering Tatler. Any way - everybody has it's own taste and I'm happy you like some of my photos!
IQ isn’t everything. Composition, colour, interest, rarity, action etc usually strike the eye before IQ.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A few years ago I posted pix here of a bald eagle perched on one of the two dolphins that adorn the top of the Disney World Dolphin hotel.

No bald eagle in sight this year at the very same hotel--instead, an osprey.

Images obtained using M6MkII and [1] EF 70-300II (300mm*1.6), [2] 70-300II (70mm*1.6) (both EF/EF-M adapted) and [3] 11-22 (21mm*1.6).

[1] (cropped):

View attachment 201641

[2] ooc jpeg (downsized):

View attachment 201642

[3] ooc jpeg (downsized):

View attachment 201643

Bald Eagle link here:

I thought it would be nice if they brought out the RF 100-400mm in the M mount as it would pair well with it. On reflection, f/8 is a bit too narrow for the very high pixel density of the M6 II and probably hardly better in resolution than your 70-300mm f/5.6.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I thought it would be nice if they brought out the RF 100-400mm in the M mount as it would pair well with it. On reflection, f/8 is a bit too narrow for the very high pixel density of the M6 II and probably hardly better in resolution than your 70-300mm f/5.6.

That’s a real good point. For what it’s worth, all three of the posted osprey pix were f/8!

In my hands, the adapted EF 70-200 f/4 IS as well as the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS II lenses are about as large (diameter and weight) on the M6MkII as I feel comfortable with, in terms of retaining the ‘compact’ feel that the M format offers.

I much prefer using (and traveling with) the EF 100-400 II when paired with a full-sized Canon body. But those require a much larger solution as far as a travel bag, case, backpack etc. are concerned.

I’ve had pretty good luck with the 70-300 IS II. I particularly like its focus capabilities. (I’m certain that when I go ‘R’ I’ll be blown away focus-wise…)

Pre-COVID (at least in terms of awareness in the western world), we traveled to Cocoa Beach FL exactly two years ago and the images in the link below were obtained, handheld, with the same body+lens combo as the osprey pictures:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4451456#forum-post-63431108

So I’ve sort of settled on (air) traveling with the gear listed in an earlier post…and leaving ‘the big guns’ at home.

Maybe the R will change things;)

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Spent a day in the local mountains to get away from the marine layer. Of the shots I took, I really liked this Hermit Thrush in the filtered late afternoon light when it hopped up on the branch after foraging.
C15904A-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/320 : f/8 : ISO 1000
Beautiful shot ERHP! The color palette works really well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 17 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I love the middle bird.
The "middle bird" is the Red Crested Cardinal (has nothing to do with the real Cardinals...). Easy to shoot in populous areas, nice looking bird... I hate them for the song: monotone, repeating, very simple and short phrases. Loud! In the same time (I mean very early in the morning - when you have that last minutes of, how to say it - enjoying still being in the bed :)) you may hear the song of the Shama - even louder but it's totally different song! After the Shama you just want to go out and enjoy the life! The song of the Red Crested Cardinal is just annoying (very annoying!).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The "middle bird" is the Red Crested Cardinal (has nothing to do with the real Cardinals...). Easy to shoot in populous areas, nice looking bird... I hate them for the song: monotone, repeating, very simple and short phrases. Loud! In the same time (I mean very early in the morning - when you have that last minutes of, how to say it - enjoying still being in the bed :)) you may hear the song of the Shama - even louder but it's totally different song! After the Shama you just want to go out and enjoy the life! The song of the Red Crested Cardinal is just annoying (very annoying!).
I'd put up with it, especially in the fog this morning - there are good reasons you moved to Hawaii!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0