Show your Bird Portraits

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I promise the next one won't be one of Your favorites. :ROFLMAO:

Sadly my knowledge of birds and their names is very limited.:cautious:
Mine certainly even more.
Even though, as long as I wasn't married, I took many pictures of birds, mainly birds of prey. Sadly, my wife lacks the necessary patience.
So, apart from the odd shot of a heron or duck, my birding activities have been reduced to the strict minimum.:cry:

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I needed some cheering up today after the news from last night. So, it was nice to get close to a Blue Tit and Great Tit with the 100-500mm + 1.4x on the R5. The images with the 1.4x respond to a bit of sharpening in DxOLab PL5, I push global LS to +2. PL does oversharpen or undersharpen some lens/camera combinations. At this resolution with the 5DSR, I would sometimes get some Moire in the feathers of the regular patterns like in the tail of the Blue Tit, but have never had any problems with the R5.

309A6303-DxO_700mm_Blue_Tit_LS2.jpg309A6337-DxO_700mm_Great_Tit_LS2.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I needed some cheering up today after the news from last night. So, it was nice to get close to a Blue Tit and Great Tit with the 100-500mm + 1.4x on the R5. The images with the 1.4x respond to a bit of sharpening in DxOLab PL5, I push global LS to +2. PL does oversharpen or undersharpen some lens/camera combinations. At this resolution with the 5DSR, I would sometimes get some Moire in the feathers of the regular patterns like in the tail of the Blue Tit, but have never had any problems with the R5.

View attachment 202397View attachment 202398
Nice shots Alan!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Is this perhaps an cunning allusion to Donald and Boris??? ;)
(Even though I hope they don't represent 50% of the population...)
Lets go without politics here! I'm very much with you but still - there are differences that may kill this site... On other hand I'm in ~80% disagreement with the current president and that's my last political comment here!
BTW - I don't think that that Heron is representing ~50% of the Night Heron Population (hardly 0.001% judging by the hair-styling:LOL:)! But just call him/her a president and the things are getting different!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Rot = rouge
Kehle = gorge
They are not only trusting, they can be insolent too. Ask my son, one Rotkehlchen stole a little piece of bread right out of his open hand. And came back for more! Lovely little creatures!
Und weiterhin viel Spaß mit dem RF Zoom!
"Und weiterhin viel Spaß mit dem RF Zoom!" - as well as with any other lens in your kit!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017

Well - put the photo on bigger screen/resolution and the moire most probably will disappear... I'm far from any theoretical explanation (never tried to thing seriously about the problem) but it's what I see by simple test...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well - put the photo on bigger screen/resolution and the moire most probably will disappear... I'm far from any theoretical explanation (never tried to thing seriously about the problem) but it's what I see by simple test...
Here's the explanation. You are looking at something different, the interaction between the pixels of your image and the pixels on your monitor. The Moire from that will appear or disappear as you vary the size of the image on the screen because the image occupies different numbers of pixels on the screen. What we mean by Moire with digital cameras is the "aliasing" where you get a rainbow of colours or patterns that are caused by the pixels in repeating patterns in the image interacting with the regular grid of pixels in the sensor. These won't disappear with increasing viewing size. Here are a couple of examples with the Canon 5DSR that doesn't have an AA-filter. The AA-filter blurs the image slightly (AA = Anti-Aliasing, otherwise called an optical low pass filter, OLPF as it removes the higher frequencies). A soft lens or slight defocussing acts as an AA-filter. It happens only rarely but can be a real menace for fashion photographers who photo dresses or suits with very very regular repeating patterns of the threads in the material. This is why Canon keeps AA-filters. It happened only rarely with the 5DSR and even less so with the D850 and D500, which is why I would prefer to have the AA-filter not present in high resolution sensors. The AA-filter in the R5 doesn't blur as much as previous Canon sensors and so is less of a worry for me.

3Q7A7188-DxO_Female_kingfisher_vvvs+fish_some_moire.jpg3Q7A7188-DxO_Female_kingfisher_vvvs+fish_some_moire copy.jpgKingfisher+fish_3Q7A4002_DxO_moiretail.jpgKingfisher+fish_3Q7A4002_DxO_moiretail_crop.jpgwaxwing+berry_3Q7A6586_DxO_waxwing-moire100%.jpgwaxwing+berry_3Q7A6586_DxO_waxwing-moire_crop100% copy.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Beautiful pictures of little mesanges!:love:
Indeed a great consolation after the sad news...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Went to Fishers Green down the road in Essex today for the Smews. Saw them but not got the best of shots. Also found this amazing silver wood duck. Never seen one before. Almost ended up swimming with it while trying to get low to the water for a shot. A heart in mouth moment. Also got a portrait of a cormorant. Such amazing eyes in good light.

View attachment 202259View attachment 202258
Great eye.....both on the part of the photographer and the bird :)

Upvote 0