Show your Bird Portraits

One more post of Barn Swallows. Yesterday, I had taken the R7, which is not my first choice for rapid BIF. This afternoon, I went back with the R5 + 100-500mm at the same time of day. It was definitely easier, and I got better shots. Here is one, and a gif of 28 shots from a 35 shot burst where in the middle I lost the bird as it was clipped by the edge of the frame but the tracking did not fail.

View attachment 205284View attachment 205285
AlanF: Why do you sometimes carry the R7 instead of the R5?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
AlanF: Why do you sometimes carry the R7 instead of the the R5?
The R5 is undoubtedly one of the best cameras ever made, fantastic AF and tracking, really great sensor - I love it. However, when comes to shear reach in good light, the R7 has about a 1.4x advantage and squeezes out more detail for birds on the edge of detection. Also, with the RF 100-400 on it, it is very light. It is pretty good for BIF but not as good as the RF. So, if I think I am most likely to be seeing distant birds I'll likely edge to the R7 but for BIF and dragonflies in flight, it's the R5. When in doubt, it's the R5, my workhorse. Better still, I'll take the R5 and my wife the R7 - I bought it for her!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Paolo and Alan,

Beautiful pictures, guys.
a025.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
What a lovely bird, which I have never seen before. It looks like it could be closely related to the Eurasian Robin, but I read it's not related.

We have a few colourful Robins here in this group, with similar markings. Colours range from pink through to the reds.

For example this is the Red-capped Robin.

OD6H7556.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0