Show your Bird Portraits

jrista said:
revup67 said:
Scott in FW - looks like a Cooper's Hawk..which are very similar to a Sharp-shinned except a few attributes such as a squared off tail which I'm unable to tell in this shot. The Sharpie's have a black marking over the eye sometimes as well as their calls are higher in pith than a Cooper's. That being said, I'd lean on a Cooper's.

Don - Love the Snowy Owl shots - truly excellent for the gear you had handy..most enjoyable

Dolina - nice work on the The Brown Shrike photo..the chest markings look most similar to that of a Nutmeg Mannikin (not native for us - Asian bird). Here in the US we get only the Loggerhead (aka the Butcher Bird) and the Northern Shrikes.

Here's a male (red shaft) Northern Flicker shot here in southern Cal today at the tail end of dusk at 12,800 ISO with a 400mm and a 5D Mark 3 hand held

Northern Flicker (12256) by Revup67, on Flickr

That's a phenomenal shot for ISO 12800. Clear and sharp. Good pose on the bird, too! :)

+1....wow, ISO 12800.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
jrista said:
My new favorite hawk photo! Just made it a couple hours ago at sunset:

Ferruginous Hawk: 7D + 600/4 II, 1/400s f/6.3 @ ISO 400
6y17Ji1.jpg
Very nice indeed Jon!

+1...wonderful capture.

Upvote 0
Jackson_Bill said:
serendipidy said:
On this first day of Christmas
Serendipidy gives to you...
5 ducks a swimming (sorry, I couldn't find 7 swans :D)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. :)

a partridge in a pear tree...
maybe a grouse in a pine tree?

Jackson_Bill,

That is perfect (yes, I had to count them ;D). Great Christmas spirit. Maybe we could start a thread where all the 12 days of Christmas gets posted...sorta like a scavenger hunt.

Happy shooting in the new year. :)

Upvote 0
serendipidy, thanks for the nice comments. I'm really happy with this shot, too. I've gotten a lot of comments about the back being too dark, but personally I like the contrast and drama it adds to an otherwise simple shot. As Gregory Heisler says in his new 50 Portraits book, "One of the keys to lighting isn't what you light but what you don't light".

Upvote 0