Show your Bird Portraits

The dove shots are all great, and while I don't have any to share, I finally tracked down the little guy in my yard who keeps waking me up in the morning and serenading me with his hoots each evening. He was way, way up high, but I snagged him with my 300 + 2x with (OOPS!) circular polarizer. It was dusk but I didn't think it was THAT dark! Luckily the IS allowed me to handhold at 1/30s allowing me to use ISO 1600 instead of 25600! Note to self - remove CIR-PLs from all lenses before I pack my lenses to come home. Now I need to get a better shot of him - tripod / Better Beamer will be at the ready for his next visit!

Backyard_Barred_Owl_3-31-2014_4595_ID-L.jpg

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
The dove shots are all great, and while I don't have any to share, I finally tracked down the little guy in my yard who keeps waking me up in the morning and serenading me with his hoots each evening. He was way, way up high, but I snagged him with my 300 + 2x with (OOPS!) circular polarizer. It was dusk but I didn't think it was THAT dark! Luckily the IS allowed me to handhold at 1/30s allowing me to use ISO 1600 instead of 25600! Note to self - remove CIR-PLs from all lenses before I pack my lenses to come home. Now I need to get a better shot of him - tripod / Better Beamer will be at the ready for his next visit!

Backyard_Barred_Owl_3-31-2014_4595_ID-L.jpg

good story Mack! nice shot, looking forward to the next one!

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
I have spent the last couple of days in Hong Kong and have just arrived in Shanghai, where G**gl* is inaccessible. I put the Tamron 150-600mm on a 5DIII through its paces under conditions where I could get really close. Here is a selection from a morning's shooting. All have been reduced to 1200 px width for uploading, each with a 100% crop so you can see the original.

The processing for all has been the same. Taken in RAW, processed in DxO with the only changes done is noise reduction using PRIME and adjusting exposure (no sharpening). The exported jpegs were cropped in PS and sharpened using USM at 100% with 0.9-2 px radius.

I don't know the names of most so please help me by identifying them (I can't G**gle*, remember).

All are hand held. The first is: Focal length = 350mm, f/6.3, iso 640, 1/320 s

First one is the Crested Pigeon, an Australian bird. (I guess the birding place you went to is for "exotic" birds?)

Upvote 0
Unlike mackguyver I had an easier time with another owl (my first):
Just this past Sunday I was scrutinizing this nondescript yet unusually noisy tree. I saw quite a few Japanese White-eyes, Light-vented Bulbuls, and maybe a third species, all seemingly in a state of excitement, over food or what I couldn't tell. By chance I noticed this silent, immobile lump of grey. I had binoculars but no camera, and no way to fetch one any time soon. It was with great anticipation that I returned 5 hours later, and you can imagine my excitement upon finding the owl still there, albeit now facing a different direction. It's a Collared Scops Owl.

I used the 70-200 IS II as the Tamron would have been too slow handheld.
Collared Scops Owl, Angled View

Upvote 0
Who says only the early bird gets the worm? ... this Spanish Sparrow got a juicy worm and an insect all at the same time in searing desert heat during mid day - lucky bird.
Moral of the Story: Be lazy and still be successful ... but face the heat! :p ;D

Canon 70D
EF 100-400 L IS
f/8
1/500sec
ISO 100
13553318495_0e78184516.jpg

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:

Handhold 600mm 1/30... Well done! Lovely picture mackguyver

Upvote 0