Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I think this shot of a kingfisher that my wife took on Sunday morning is technically much better (100-400mm II on 5DSR). And she doesn't claim to be a photographer - she just points and shoots with the camera set to my standard settings of iso640, f/5.6 at AV.

Attachments

• Kingfisher_3Q7A5359_DxO_small.jpg
    Kingfisher_3Q7A5359_DxO_small.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
dpc said:
Nat_WA said:
dpc said:
Some form of wood warbler, I believe, but I'm not sure which one. If anyone can help with the ident. please let me know.

Very nice dpc! Perfect exposure on the bird (despite the bright background!). Can't help you with identification :(

Wiebe

Thanks! 8)

There's a bird on the Island of Barra of the west coast of Scotland just now showing all the characters of this bird and it's an American redstart. Only the 2nd record for Scotland and the 6th for Britain, quite a celebrity.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Jack Douglas said:
Alan, as you know all the harping is to be rid of low pass filters so obviously people are prepared to accept the moire. V Nice, your wife has you beat. What a treat to see such colorful birds.

Jack

The joke is that my wife's shot is with the 5DSR that doesn't have a low pass filter, and hers doesn't have Moire, whereas the competition winner does have Moire on a 1DX II that does have a filter! The 5DSR is just so good for resolution, and I have rarely been hit by Moire.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
I think this shot of a kingfisher that my wife took on Sunday morning is technically much better (100-400mm II on 5DSR). And she doesn't claim to be a photographer - she just points and shoots with the camera set to my standard settings of iso640, f/5.6 at AV.

Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird! Congratulations to your wife.

Upvote 0
Oysercatcher...

This picture really taught me something...I was messing around with Affinity Photo, learning the tools, filters and layers, really struggling with the masks and selections...overall it just looked like I was trying too hard.

Backed up to DPP, exported to Photoshop, added some Nik filters and in 10 minutes a picture I am more happy with. I know I can do better on a few things, but this is easier on my stress levels.

Attachments

• IMG_8631.jpg
    IMG_8631.jpg
    637.1 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some months ago I asked advice on what to take to Borneo on a bird safari: the 400mm DO II or the Sigma 150-600mm C for my 5DIV (the wife has the 100-400 II + 5DSR). There was no response but I made the difficult choice of taking the prime, and buying an ultralight case for hand luggage. It was the right decision as I needed every stop of light and the best IS as I was shooting in the near dark so often - early morning, dusk, late at night with a spotlight, and in a rain forest. There are those who are still sneering at IS. Well here are some efforts at f/4, with iso6400 on the 5DIV and speeds down to 1/20s hand held in a boat. Try that with a 400mm f/5.6!

The short-tailed greenmagpie, whistling thrush and little spiderhunter were early morning, and the buffy fishowl and blue-eared kingfisher on a night trip in a small boat with a handheld spotlight.

Attachments

• 2B4A7717_DxO_shorttailedgreenmagpie.jpg
    2B4A7717_DxO_shorttailedgreenmagpie.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 2B4A7729_DxO_borneanwhistlingthrush.jpg
    2B4A7729_DxO_borneanwhistlingthrush.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • 2B4A7162_DxO_littlespiderhunter.jpg
    2B4A7162_DxO_littlespiderhunter.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 2B4A6877_DxO_buffyfishowl.jpg
    2B4A6877_DxO_buffyfishowl.jpg