Show your Bird Portraits

IslanderMV said:
Nat_WA said:
IslanderMV said:
Pied-billed Grebe with fish.

Very nice Jeff! Is this one of the smaller grebes where you are living? It looks a bit like the little grebe I spotted a couple of weeks ago from a hide (unfortunately it kept its distance so I don't have decent pictures of "mine").
The little grebe is called "Dodaars" in my country, indicating the fluffy backside - which your pied-billed grebe also shows a bit ;)

Wiebe.

Yes, the Pied-billed Grebe ( Podilymbus podiceps ) is the smallest. The bird pictured has taken up residence in a small local pond. In winter we also see the slightly larger Horned Grebe. We get the Red-necked Grebe every few years. All are in adult non-breeding plumage.

I will dig through my Lightroom catalog and post some picts.

Jeff
... although low quality I wanted to show the Little Grebe (Dodaars) - you can still see the fluffy backside which earned the bird its name. Light wasn't good either on this overcast and windy day a couple of weeks ago...
And unfortunately it was too far away so this is a crop of the original, around 6% of the whole frame (in # of pixels).

Wiebe.

Attachments

• Dodaars-6756.jpg
    Dodaars-6756.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Here's a close up of a little grebe I took this summer.

That's much more like it... Nice picture of this small and agile grebe Alan!

Yours is also in summer outfit while when I saw them they were mostly in winter plumage (one still had a bit of reddish-brown on its cheeks - or maybe he was just blushing ;))

Wiebe.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Such a beautiful morning that I just had to go out with the 800mm DO/5DIV. As usual by chance, I strolled past this handsome kestrel with the light behind me (not by chance). He took off, and I could not believe to see he had been ringed.

Attachments

• kestrel_2B4A0585_DxO_CR.jpg
    kestrel_2B4A0585_DxO_CR.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 73
  • kestrel_2B4A0586_DxO_takingoff_CR.jpg
    kestrel_2B4A0586_DxO_takingoff_CR.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
About an hour from where I live, the Salmon have followed the river up to spawn. Here is one of the largest of gatherings of Eagles which feast on the Salmon. Lighting was very poor and I was not able to get an image worth showing. Instead, here is an image of a Seagull which would dip under the water and steal the nested eggs of the Salmon one by one.

1DX_3712 by Ryan Kelly, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Ryananthony said:
About an hour from where I live, the Salmon have followed the river up to spawn. Here is one of the largest of gatherings of Eagles which feast on the Salmon. Lighting was very poor and I was not able to get an image worth showing. Instead, here is an image of a Seagull which would dip under the water and steal the nested eggs of the Salmon one by one.

1DX_3712 by Ryan Kelly, on Flickr

Interesting. Nice photo. Keep trying for the eagle shots. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The very low angle of the sun today gave some interesting reflections from eyes from ripples in the lake (5DIV-400mm DO @ 560mm).

Attachments

• tuftedduck_2B4A0931_DxO_female_reflection.jpg
    tuftedduck_2B4A0931_DxO_female_reflection.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • tuftedduck_2B4A0925_DxO_reflection.jpg
    tuftedduck_2B4A0925_DxO_reflection.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • shoveller_2B4A0784_DxO_reflection.jpg
    shoveller_2B4A0784_DxO_reflection.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • pochard_2B4A0948_DxO_reflection.jpg
    pochard_2B4A0948_DxO_reflection.jpg