Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 28, 2015
Oyster catcher - Bay of Islands, NZ

One afternoon I spent about an hour following this little guy as he hopped and hunter on the rocks are the tide's edge. It always surprises me how hard it is for us to open an oyster but he seems to do OK with a relatively soft bill, working and prising open the shellfish and I managed to get a couple with him holding his hard won meal.

He was tolerant as long I made no sudden movements and I managed to get closer than I though possible - 5DIV 100-400 with 1.4x. Images uncropped (!)

Attachments

• BL1A8879 - Oyster catcher with food-101.JPG
    BL1A8879 - Oyster catcher with food-101.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 60
  • BL1A8872 - Oyster catcher with food-101.JPG
    BL1A8872 - Oyster catcher with food-101.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 57
  • BL1A8904 - Oyster catcher-101.JPG
    BL1A8904 - Oyster catcher-101.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 56
Upvote 0
AlanF said:
Here are some proper New Zealand endemics that haven't hybridized with mallards. The Takahe is rare, the New Zealand Robin is very friendly, the Kaka is a brute, and the pukeko is common - this shot shows its huge feet.

Nice set of shots - of some interestingly "different" birds Alan!

Thanks for sharing and naming them...

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
ISv said:
AlanF said:
Here are some proper New Zealand endemics that haven't hybridized with mallards. The Takahe is rare, the New Zealand Robin is very friendly, the Kaka is a brute, and the pukeko is common - this shot shows its huge feet.

Nice pictures Alan and very interesting birds!
I just don't understand what you mean with "...proper New Zealand endemics that haven't hybridized with mallards". All four species on the photos are very far from any duck and hardly could hybridize with mallard - or may be I don't know something?
I'm again locked at home because of the weather - tundurstorms, flooding and strong winds. And since it probably look suspicious (Hawaii any way :)) here is a link to the local news from this morning. Right now outside it looks like one more of the same is coming...
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/37956117/photos-flooding-causes-major-damage-across-oahu

I really hope you live on higher ground ISv ... :-\

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Oyster catcher - Bay of Islands, NZ

One afternoon I spent about an hour following this little guy as he hopped and hunter on the rocks are the tide's edge. It always surprises me how hard it is for us to open an oyster but he seems to do OK with a relatively soft bill, working and prising open the shellfish and I managed to get a couple with him holding his hard won meal.

He was tolerant as long I made no sudden movements and I managed to get closer than I though possible - 5DIV 100-400 with 1.4x. Images uncropped (!)

Nice series Mikehit, "uncropped" - so indeed he must have been very tolerant of you ;)
On our Dutch beaches I never succeed in approaching them so closely... (maybe that's just me though ;))

Wiebe.

Upvote 0