Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ISv said:
My weekend wasn't productive in terms of new birds. On other hand I think, I got some good photos of my best friend during the hikes - White-rumped Shama (male in this case). Pay attention on the difference in the black in shade and in more light. It's male, the females are brownish-black in that areas. And compare with the juvenile that I recently posted!
The last one is attempt for a real portrait, I got really close to the bird.

Beautiful pictures, ISv. :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Wiebe, that's what I'm hoping for. V nice. What jumps out at me is how clean that hole is in an apparently live tree; quite the carpenters.

Graham, sadly it's not too near my hideout but there is a big tree nearby where I could clamp my treepod and fire remotely. Still remains to be seen if they will nest there.

Seems we have a growing number of regulars. It's nice to comment/praise newcomers but I for one don't post to hear accolades, so really being included with "everyone" is just fine. When I first found CR I was really hoping for technical advice on my shots but some are thin skinned and overall it just doesn't seem to work giving/receiving honest appraisals since it often ends in insults. Personally, I'm happier receiving criticism over praise since that's the path to improvement. :)

Riley, how dare you talk about the rainbow without posting the shot! ;) I'm sure there is a little birdie somewhere in it. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
Seems we have a growing number of regulars. It's nice to comment/praise newcomers but I for one don't post to hear accolades, so really being included with "everyone" is just fine. When I first found CR I was really hoping for technical advice on my shots but some are thin skinned and overall it just doesn't seem to work giving/receiving honest appraisals since it often ends in insults. Personally, I'm happier receiving criticism over praise since that's the path to improvement. :
Jack
[Jack, I couldn't agree more, sure it's great to have favourable comments but once us "newbies" feel confident enough to post, (believe me I was a viewer for a long time before I did so) it was because it was obvious there were many people with a vast amount of experience than I could tap into from other sources for critique of value. So here's another image of mine I like, trust others will as well. Sitting in the car when this Reed Bunting popped out to feed, Quite smart in full breeding plumage. Harry. /quote]

Attachments

• Reed Bunting.2.jpg
    Reed Bunting.2.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
HB, another sweet bird.

I used to state that it would be nice if the photo particulars were included in a posting but I came to realize that most don't want to bother, and that's OK. The single most valuable bit of advice I got two or three years ago was to consider composition and buy a recommended book, "The Photographer's Eye", which I did. It was Scott, Private By Design, who offered the advice. He's forthright and just tells it like it is and sometimes gets in trouble for it but that's how I wish we all could operate.

At the risk of boring by repetition with this comment, when I posted my first bird shots I didn't know the eye "must" be in focus. ;D Then I learned that I shouldn't crop as much as I was; provide some "context" and that it was good to position the bird with more space in the direction he is looking and ... But that's just me wanting to do the best I can, still trying to obey my dear mother, now deceased. ;) Others may wish to just have fun casually snapping away and that's fine too.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
e5z8652, those shots are great.

Thanks jprusa , Isv and I love your last photos. If we could just trade places easily we'd each have so many different birds! ;)

Jack

Great idea Jack! But since we can't trade the places easily we have some very useful forums ;)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Valvebounce said:
Hi ISv.
Very nice shots, is that a hint of a self portrait I see in the eye on the last shot! :)

Thanks Graham! Actually I realize what you mean after checking the photo right now - didn't notice this even during the developing... If you can see there someone hiding behind a camera - should be me :).

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nat_WA said:
ISv said:

Hi ISv,

are these Shama's forest dwelling birds? Quite big eyes for the size of its head - so I guess it resides most in shaded areas...

Wiebe.

Hi Wiebe - they are more common in the woods but even in the town they prefer trees with some bushes around. I have seen them foraging for insects in very dark places in the woods so, you may have a point!

Nice photos BTW, keep an eye (well I'm sure you will without my "advise" :D) and post further - it would be interesting to see how this will develop!!!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Click said:
ISv said:
My weekend wasn't productive in terms of new birds. On other hand I think, I got some good photos of my best friend during the hikes - White-rumped Shama (male in this case). Pay attention on the difference in the black in shade and in more light. It's male, the females are brownish-black in that areas. And compare with the juvenile that I recently posted!
The last one is attempt for a real portrait, I got really close to the bird.

Beautiful pictures, ISv. :)

Thanks Click!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Don Haines said:
A long tailed duck. This is the first one of these that I have ever seen..... shot with a 7D2 and Tamron 150-600 at 600mm from a canoe while jiggled by waves....

"This is the first one of these that I have ever seen" - me too :D (I mean out of the books). My book says - young bird, first winter...
Never seen them alive :-\

Upvote 0