Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Scarcely a bird to be seen here at home but while we were away it seems a pair of geese decided this was a wonderful deserted place and chose the top of a playhouse for their nest. I climb up an attached slide ladder and have a birds eye view. One is on the nest the other enjoying the good life. Funny, this is the first pair I've seen that seem to always have their necks stretched out flat to the ground when resting.

Jack

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Great shots Jack and Cog. I have been preoccupied the last few weeks and haven't taken many photos. I did manage to get a House Sparrow. ;)
View attachment 183943
That's a fine male specimen of a bird I rather dislike - very nice. I'd even be happy to see one of those guys here; it's desolate. Not a Downy nor a Chickadee nor ... simply nothing at my feeders and just my two geese for entertainment. Please send some birds my way!;)

Jack

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
That's a fine male specimen of a bird I rather dislike - very nice. I'd even be happy to see one of those guys here; it's desolate. Not a Downy nor a Chickadee nor ... simply nothing at my feeders and just my two geese for entertainment. Please send some birds my way!;)

Jack
Not sure what area you live in out in Alberta, but in LaSalle, Ontario, next to Windsor, we have a good variety in our area. My wife keeps a journal some days on what we see on our property. On April 17th we saw a Junco, Wild Turkeys, Gold Finch, Fn Starling (my wife's words), Cardinal, Large Nut Hatch, Red Wing Black Bird, Robin, Grackle, Sparrow, Fn Goose, Mallard, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, and Small Nut Hatch. Most were at our bird feeders and nut feeders. The goose and mallards were on our second lot (our meadow) behind our house. The spring rains form several small, shallow ponds that dry up by June. And our meadow borders a Natural Habitat Area.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Not sure what area you live in out in Alberta, but in LaSalle, Ontario, next to Windsor, we have a good variety in our area. My wife keeps a journal some days on what we see on our property. On April 17th we saw a Junco, Wild Turkeys, Gold Finch, Fn Starling (my wife's words), Cardinal, Large Nut Hatch, Red Wing Black Bird, Robin, Grackle, Sparrow, Fn Goose, Mallard, Red Bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, and Small Nut Hatch. Most were at our bird feeders and nut feeders. The goose and mallards were on our second lot (our meadow) behind our house. The spring rains form several small, shallow ponds that dry up by June. And our meadow borders a Natural Habitat Area.

Well, that's generally how it's been around here and we had a few before we left for Costa Rica but upon return I've seen exactly one chickadee and not one Downy, or nuthatch etc. All I can think is food is now plentiful elsewhere and maybe mating has them more secluded. Robins should be back but I see none so far. Of course we have magpies and crows! I'm Edmonton area rural. However, I'm enjoying being attacked by my Canada geese.;)

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Well, that's generally how it's been around here and we had a few before we left for Costa Rica but upon return I've seen exactly one chickadee and not one Downy, or nuthatch etc. All I can think is food is now plentiful elsewhere and maybe mating has them more secluded. Robins should be back but I see none so far. Of course we have magpies and crows! I'm Edmonton area rural. However, I'm enjoying being attacked by my Canada geese.;)

Jack
Yes, my Geese like hissing and threatening me also.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
At least there is one bird in Costa Rica I didn't need a book for. What a pleasure to see these guys near Carara National Park. This was shot from the hotel and possibly are in an Avocado tree. This is an area well worth visiting with Iguanas everywhere. They'll walk right up to you but watch those tails!

Jack183953

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Alan, you recall the situation, with my daughter manning the R and using what I could offer - the 70-200 2.8 II. It was great with X1.4, poor with 2X, so I stayed with the 400 X2 and let her have the X1.4. I have discussed with her about getting the 100 - 400 but all she could afford at this time was the R.

One major complaint about the 400 DO is its lack of close focus. If only Canon would build a long tele with a macro function.

As it turned out I didn't even use the R to see what I thought of it other than when I purchased it, but from what she was getting and how it performed, I was impressed. It's a very nice camera. I haven't seen her photos on computer since we're in different cities and it takes time to sort so many redundant photos. I'll have a better assessment in due course.

I'd be posting but I need time to ID the birds but here are a couple hummers. San Gerardo de Dota is an amazing valley in the high mountains.

Jack

View attachment 183925View attachment 183926
Nice to see you back Jack! Nice photos!

Upvote 0