Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah - sharper indeed... by much:)! But you missed the scene - not the same!!! Bottom line is: .... OK, you know what I mean:)!
(Just to repeat your favorite slogan from L.P.: "Chance favors the prepared mind" - this is the original L.P. sentence BTW).
Anyway, bridge camera is what it is...
Any way, thanks for the nice photo and the discussion in my mind (private):D:D:D!

Luck favours the well-prepared mind, Louis Pasteur.
Luck favours the lucky person, AlanF

LP wrote in French and the original quote is: La chance ne sourit qu'aux esprits bien préparés. ‘Chance’ is more usually translated into ‘Luck’ in current English, and LP also did say 'bien' before prepared. Google translate translates the original quote into: 'Luck is good for well-prepared minds'. Thanks for your comments on the photos - it’s always good to receive constructive criticism, and there is not enough of it here. More constructive criticism would be educational. Bonne chance, Isv!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
Quote from Alan, “it’s always good to receive constructive criticism, and there is not enough of it here.”

Quite a while ago I was thinking of suggesting a ‘critics corner,” I started on a set of rules for my proposal, my thought was that initially it would probably be one open thread, all subjects allowed and included.

Critique Corner.
Rules.
Please post here if you really would like constructive criticism.

Don’t post here if all you want is praise.
Don’t post here if you don’t like or want criticism.

“I think this picture is rubbish” and “nice shot” are not sufficient, replies should include the reason why you do or do not like the photo, composition, lighting etc are good reasons to criticise a shot, I don’t like cats or Cadillacs are not good reasons to criticise a shot.

What do you think, worth asking for?
I have started a new thread about this Click here so please don’t reply here and derail this thread.

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Two weeks plus out of the loop and boy is this thread loading slowly. I don't have the stamina right now but will once again be enjoying the posts ASAP.

I had to have a second open heart surgery to correct a small issue with the first and as a result two full weeks in the hospital and considerable discomfort but it won't be too many more weeks and I'll have the gear hanging around my neck again.

Jack

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Two weeks plus out of the loop and boy is this thread loading slowly. I don't have the stamina right now but will once again be enjoying the posts ASAP.

I had to have a second open heart surgery to correct a small issue with the first and as a result two full weeks in the hospital and considerable discomfort but it won't be too many more weeks and I'll have the gear hanging around my neck again.

Jack
Wow - I was wondering where did you disappear...
I cross my fingers for you Jack (not much help but it's all I can do)!
"...but it won't be too many more weeks and I'll have the gear hanging around my neck again." - You promise!!!
P.S. Consult with your doctor before you put your gear around your neck! Nature is fantastic medicine but you can enjoy it without photo equipment too...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Wow - I was wondering where did you disappear...
I cross my fingers for you Jack (not much help but it's all I can do)!
"...but it won't be too many more weeks and I'll have the gear hanging around my neck again." - You promise!!!
P.S. Consult with your doctor before you put your gear around your neck! Nature is fantastic medicine but you can enjoy it without photo equipment too...
Right on. My first priority is to get the various feeders functioning again and to just wander around the home acreage since the leaves are now coloured but still hanging up there and it is so beautiful. It's as good as medicine!

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
My goal today was the Chestnut Munia (Lonchura atricapilla). First photo - adult. After that two juveniles. I was surprised by the uniformity of the young birds this year. Usually the dark (dark red-brown above and on the sides and nearly black undersides) spots are appearing in the time rather irregularly from specimen to specimen - they look almost as different species! Not this year on that place (hmm... if I had more dry time...)!
Whatever - from drizzling to rainy, time to time even sunlight. Took photos "in between the rain drops" (well, right now my equipment is drying on the lanai:()!

DSC_3896_DxO.jpgDSC_3952_DxO.jpgDSC_3973_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My goal today was the Chestnut Munia (Lonchura atricapilla). First photo - adult. After that two juveniles. I was surprised by the uniformity of the young birds this year. Usually the dark (dark red-brown above and on the sides and nearly black undersides) spots are appearing in the time rather irregularly from specimen to specimen - they look almost as different species! Not this year on that place (hmm... if I had more dry time...)!
Whatever - from drizzling to rainy, time to time even sunlight. Took photos
It's fun using photography to capture images just for the sake of recording birds. And these are nice shots as well.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I tried to photograph the different types of Darwin finches, mainly the Groundfinches with different sized beaks. Trouble was that most of the ones I saw were on the ground and not good subjects other than for the record. However, here are a male and female ones perched in Santiago island (5dsr + 100-400mm II).

3Q7A5085-DxO_ground_finch_vvg.jpg3Q7A5176-DxO_ground_finch.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Nice shots Alan!
"Trouble was that most of the ones I saw were on the ground and not good subjects other than for the record. " - It just means you are more photographer than birder :)!
On other hand we can not discriminate the birds for theirs feeding behavior - some of them are really hard to photograph out of the grass simply because if really scared they use to land high and in the dark of the crowns of the trees. And I honestly think the best way to show the birds is in their common surroundings - for the House Sparrow it could be very well just an outdoor table:)!
Any way, I agree that bird on a branch and well out of focus background looks more attractive for most of the observers...Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 18_DxO.jpgLonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 17 Juvenile_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0