Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
lion rock said:
You done well!
-r

PS., If you should sell your Canons, keep me in mind, though I'm cheap! Cheap! CHEAP! :eek: ;D.

Jack Douglas said:
More backlit from today. Maybe I should do like Artie and sell all my Canon gear since "Nikon AF is light years ahead". My Canon won't snap onto these guys at the speed they travel.

Jack
Me thinks a guy who travels the world like you would have no problem paying me a premium. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
More backlit from today. Maybe I should do like Artie and sell all my Canon gear since "Nikon AF is light years ahead". My Canon won't snap onto these guys at the speed they travel.

Jack

Ha,ha... hmmm... I have Nikon and it's why I don't take pictures of small birds in fly ;)!

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

Ha,ha... hmmm... I have Nikon and it's why I don't take pictures of small birds in fly ;)!

No camera can AF this, it's just the luck of the draw and persistence.

Finally a backlit that I think works. I suspect this is a younger male, sure cute!

Jack

Attachments

• Redpoll_s_26074.JPG
    Redpoll_s_26074.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:
Redpoll war. I think her eye is actually in focus - kind of. ;)

Jack

I have to acknowledge it took me big time to find that eye ;D!
Keep shooting Jack, at least for me taking pictures works as perfect medicine against any problems (almost)!

When I joined CR I didn't even know the eye had to be in focus! So, I have at least gained that much knowledge. Now I have to learn how to get it in focus. It is therapy for me since I suffer chronic migraines, like 30 days a month. :( But the birds make me :) and CR gear threads make me ;D ;D ;D What dodo birds.

Jack

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack Douglas said:
ISv said:
Jack Douglas said:

Jack

No camera can AF this, it's just the luck of the draw and persistence.

Finally a backlit that I think works. I suspect this is a younger male, sure cute!

Jack

It works Jack! And works very well.
(Riley, he is not going to sale his gear after this shot ;)!)

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack, I didn't find anything really backlit in between my pictures (or at least I don't remember where I have to search). These two are the worst case scenario that I succeed to find...
Your redpoll is really great!

Attachments

• Gygis alba - White Tern 12.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • Gygis alba - White Tern 14 Juvenile.jpg
    Gygis alba - White Tern 14 Juvenile.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
So much stuff to enjoy here.
I have a number of different birds in my garden these mild winter-days in Denmark.
So let me add a selection of these.
All shots made from a comfortable position inside my house through window-glass using Canon 6D, Tamron 150-600 @600mm.
Some of the pictures (the later ones) has a hint of flash added (off camera).

The first - a 'Halemejse' in Danish = Aegithalos caudatus is my favourite.
Partly because of its orange colored eyelids.

Attachments

• IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1669.jpg
    IMG_1669.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • C IMG_1401.jpg
    C IMG_1401.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • B IMG_1426.jpg
    B IMG_1426.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PKinDenmark, thanks for posting some interesting and beautiful birds from your area. Nothing wrong with being comfortable when shooting. It'd be nice if we had more areas represented - maybe English is a barrier?

Not sure if you'd be interested in what I've done. My window is casement and I put a plexiglass sheet insert in front of the outward swinging window. Cut a 7" hole and lined it with rubber tubing that was slit. Sprayed the plexi with paint except for a small viewing area above. I rest my telephoto on the rubber and fire away at feeding birds. I can still end up freezing my fingers though. ;) My wife "tolerates" my activities. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been stalking Hawfinches for the past month or so to get a sharp shot of one in a tree. At last, I got a bird in a hornbeam tree that was not too obscured. She was chomping away at the seeds (5DSR 800mm).

Attachments

• Hawfinch_3Q7A3519-DxO+seed_small.jpg
    Hawfinch_3Q7A3519-DxO+seed_small.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Hawfinch_3Q7A3601-small.jpg
    Hawfinch_3Q7A3601-small.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0