Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I was lucky to get this plover in action too...
"And the life is goood after that :)" - for the plover I mean, but I was also happy!
Sorry for the messy background - at that time I was still learning what are the restrictions of my new lens... (and my mistake - f9 ?!)On the third pic it looks kind of better but still not there.

Attachments

• Pluvialis fulva - Pacific Golden Plover 2.jpg
    Pluvialis fulva - Pacific Golden Plover 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • Pluvialis fulva - Pacific Golden Plover 3.jpg
    Pluvialis fulva - Pacific Golden Plover 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • Pluvialis fulva - Pacific Golden Plover 4.jpg
    Pluvialis fulva - Pacific Golden Plover 4.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ISv.
Very nice shots, I really like the first shot for the action, and I don’t think a little bit too much DOF is as harmful as a little bit too little DOF.
The third shot is very nice looking straight at you by looking away.

Cheers, Graham

ISv said:
"And the life is goood after that :)" - for the plover I mean, but I was also happy!
Sorry for the messy background - at that time I was still learning what are the restrictions of my new lens... (and my mistake - f9 ?!)On the third pic it looks kind of better but still not there.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Valvebounce said:
"...I don’t think a little bit too much DOF is as harmful as a little bit too little DOF."

Thanks Graham!
I think I know what you mean! Before I starting to mess with the birds I was taking photos to document the presence of something else on the islands. And DOF was very important - giving more info about more points of the object and also (important!) the background - this was making the identification little bit easier... Well, now imagine all photos at physical aperture 32 (the effective was different - according to the magnification - or if you prefer, according to the distance to the object).
But in this case it was not necessary, I could go, especially on the first shot (hey, the bird is nearly perpendicular to me - it was collaborating!) to 5.6 (and that is the all for my lens :))! My mistake, call it what you want...
Anyway - thanks for the kind words, sometimes words like these are more productive than naked criticism!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ISv said:

Nice series. I especially like the 3rd shot.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A peregrine was perched high up on a church in the centre of town. He couldn't escape 800mm of DO on my 5DIV. The church railings mad an excellent monopod.

Attachments

• peregrine_2B4A6247-DxO_VG_peregrine_right_clawup.jpg
    peregrine_2B4A6247-DxO_VG_peregrine_right_clawup.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 78
  • peregrine_2B4A6242-DxO_VG_peregrine_right_headdown.jpg
    peregrine_2B4A6242-DxO_VG_peregrine_right_headdown.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 91
  • peregrine_2B4A6082-DxO_G_peregrine_left_wingsout.jpg
    peregrine_2B4A6082-DxO_G_peregrine_left_wingsout.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 87
  • peregrine_2B4A6078-DxO_G_peregrine_left.jpg
    peregrine_2B4A6078-DxO_G_peregrine_left.jpg