Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
ERHP said:
Thanks lion rock, Click, Alan, and Don. Alan, that was a little crop, with my final 4308x2871 of the original 5472x3648 before I resized, keeping the 3:2. 840mm on the 1DX MK II and the female kestrels on the island are fairly tolerant. Just keep telling them they're pretty birds and they hang around :p

Thanks for the info. I like to get a feel for how well my kit does compared with others so I like to know settings and sizes etc.

Upvote 0
sedwards said:
Red-Bellied Woodpecker from a local sanctuary.

That is a nice bird, well captured Stuart. In my neighbourhood we do have a great spotted woodpecker but darn - this bird is elusive... As soon as it spots my 100-400 it goes in hiding - while I do see it regularly when without a camera :(

ERHP said:
Nice shot Stuart!

Was watching one of the local female Kestrels tear apart breakfast when the rain started. Then the rain got heavier and I decided to just keep shooting. Interestingly, she just shrugged off the rain and went back to eating.

Very nice picture Ed; goes to show that you don't need perfect weather for a perfect picture!

Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
I'll just say what a nice bunch of recent photos!! Still wishing for something else to shoot. Took a day and hiked around Elk Island National Park and all I saw was one lousy magpie. At least at home I get the usual - crows, chickadees, nuthatches, downies etc. but spring, where are you?! :(

Jack

+1, but your redpolls and other local birds are cute and nice enough to show Jack!

Last week I had to stay home (sick) for a few days; the only thing to shoot are the local ones in those circumstances - but still they can be cute:

My "house Robin", fluffed up against the cold siberian wind blowing in last week... (taken through the window so some loss of contrast)

Wiebe.

Attachments

• Robin-7755.jpg
    Robin-7755.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Nat_WA said:
Last week I had to stay home (sick) for a few days; the only thing to shoot are the local ones in those circumstances - but still they can be cute:

My "house Robin", fluffed up against the cold siberian wind blowing in last week... (taken through the window so some loss of contrast)

Wiebe.

Lovely. Well done, Wiebe.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Nat_WA said:
mdmphoto said:
Faery Tern Chick, 7D II, Sigma 150-500, 1/500, f/6.3, ISO 800, 500mm

Cute one Michael! Although I wouldn't expect a tern in the trees... I thought they usually nest at the coast, right?

Wiebe.

They lay their eggs in trees without (believe it or not) the security of a nest - they just balance the egg on the fork of a branch.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Wiebe. I try to remind myself that some shots happen by chance and are not reproducible so one never knows. So for now, I'm just trying for better redpolls. Blink and they'll be gone just like the Pileated wp that doesn't come anymore. :( Always make hay while the sun shines. ;)

We need more shots from around the world - come on lurkers - post.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
mdmphoto, what a sweet shot!

Jack

Thanks, Jack; I was actually hoping to catch a feeding, but the parents never returned, and it started to sprinkle a little, so, being on my bike I decided to start riding back home. Just as I started to pack my gear, though, the chick began to demonstrate an interest in eating, I think....

Upvote 0
Nat_WA said:
mdmphoto said:
Faery Tern Chick, 7D II, Sigma 150-500, 1/500, f/6.3, ISO 800, 500mm

Cute one Michael! Although I wouldn't expect a tern in the trees... I thought they usually nest at the coast, right?

Wiebe.

Thanks, Nat; actually, here in Honolulu, they nest all over the downtown area....

Attachments

• _H5A5794.jpg
    _H5A5794.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0