Show your Bird Portraits

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
lion rock said:
bad,
All very cute, especially the last one.
-r

"Cute" all I get is a "Cute" ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

If Cute is what you want, I love this one:

Just Cute by Diane and Brian Dorling, auf Flickr

Two of four young Kestrels. Easy to see the diference in ages between these two.
I saw one of the four taken by a Goshawk that was waiting in a tree a few days after they fledged.
Even found the place it was plucked the next day with most of the feathers. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
bjd said:
lion rock said:
bad,
-r

Two of four young Kestrels. Easy to see the diference in ages between these two.
I saw one of the four taken by a Goshawk that was waiting in a tree a few days after they fledged.
Even found the place it was plucked the next day with most of the feathers. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers Brian
Love the Owls but these two take the cake :)

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
jprusa said:
bjd said:
lion rock said:
bad,
-r

Cheers Brian
Love the Owls but these two take the cake :)

Thank you very much. Who couldn't love them?
Cheers Brian

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
dpc said:
Hawk drinking at a puddle at the entrance to a parking lot. The hawk was small and I was only carrying a 55-200mm lens with me and couldn't get very close, so I seriously over-cropped the picture but thought I'd post it anyway just because getting a shot of a hawk is a rarity for me. I'll keep the picture for a while then trash it. :)

dpc, many years ago I mounted what looks to me to be that exact hawk. My assessment back then was it's a pigeon hawk (merlin), I guess female since it's pretty bland. I like to see shots even if they are not great for various reasons like ID.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
bjd very impressive, but any time you show babies to anyone I think the first reaction is, "cute". Maybe, "cute" is the highest level of compliment. :)

I sure wish I had some hawks and owls to shoot but when others tell me about the hawks in particular, in their yards, they often also say all the other birds have disappeared. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
About the length of this thread. It's possible for someone just visiting the thread to be overwhelmed by it's length - I think of myself years ago, when I was completely new here and didn't know how to function efficiently.

Now with "notify" clicked at the bottom of the thread my email tells me new postings are there and I have a quick peak; meaning I'm quite unaware of the thread length and it doesn't present as an issue. I have both of the threads clicked for notify so it's not a big deal but I'd personally prefer just being directed to one.

However, if I only cared about flight shots I guess I'd get tired of also being exposed to portraits. Somehow I can't picture too many bird lovers not wanting to see any/all bird photos; thus my suggestion of merging. Technically, I'm not sure if all of my shots even qualify as "portraits". If it's a bird I just post it ... and I even dropped in a muskrat when the conversation went slightly off topic. It's whatever everyone is in favour of that's fine with me.

BTW here is another view of a bird previously posted. I thought it was "cute". He was like a little kid in the bathtub making bubbles with his face in the water. ;)

Jack

Attachments

• Ruddy duck_crop_35746.JPG
    Ruddy duck_crop_35746.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
bjd very impressive, but any time you show babies to anyone I think the first reaction is, "cute". Maybe, "cute" is the highest level of compliment. :)

I sure wish I had some hawks and owls to shoot but when others tell me about the hawks in particular, in their yards, they often also say all the other birds have disappeared. :(

Jack
Thanks Jack

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Jack Douglas said:
About the length of this thread. It's possible for someone just visiting the thread to be overwhelmed by it's length - I think of myself years ago, when I was completely new here and didn't know how to function efficiently.

Now with "notify" clicked at the bottom of the thread my email tells me new postings are there and I have a quick peak; meaning I'm quite unaware of the thread length and it doesn't present as an issue. I have both of the threads clicked for notify so it's not a big deal but I'd personally prefer just being directed to one.

However, if I only cared about flight shots I guess I'd get tired of also being exposed to portraits. Somehow I can't picture too many bird lovers not wanting to see any/all bird photos; thus my suggestion of merging. Technically, I'm not sure if all of my shots even qualify as "portraits". If it's a bird I just post it ... and I even dropped in a muskrat when the conversation went slightly off topic. It's whatever everyone is in favour of that's fine with me.

BTW here is another view of a bird previously posted. I thought it was "cute". He was like a little kid in the bathtub making bubbles with his face in the water. ;)

Jack

Very Cute Jack!

Upvote 0