Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
dpc said:
Hawk drinking at a puddle at the entrance to a parking lot. The hawk was small and I was only carrying a 55-200mm lens with me and couldn't get very close, so I seriously over-cropped the picture but thought I'd post it anyway just because getting a shot of a hawk is a rarity for me. I'll keep the picture for a while then trash it. :)

Well, I sincerely don't know from where to start - A lot of nice shots! Congratulations to the authors!

dpc - I think it's something from the falcons, like Kestrels (and I'm aware of what Jack is saying later in the posts, but: there is very easy feature to separate a real Falcon (like Merlin) from any Hawk - the wings of the real Falcons are = or +/- longer than the tail and it's not the case here. On other hand Kestrels are the only Falcons with longer than the wings tail and it looks like that one (if you have a better photo of the bill - it would be definitive - Falcons have a "tooth" on the bill, without such a photo it's just a feeling/experience from my side)!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here is my contribution from the weekend. Saturday - started wet and windy. In the very morning just photo of the Common Wax-bill feeding on the flowers of Rainbow Eucalyptus. Later it step by step improved...

Attachments

• DSC_8737_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8737_DxO.jpg
    914.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_8780_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8780_DxO.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 62
  • DSC_8836_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8836_DxO.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And from today (Sunday) - total catastrophe, I'm going to that location week after week in the last two months in chasing for the Red Avadavat (Amandava amandava). On different locations - already two Years! Here is my best shot from all the time (today). They feed on the ground but always have some 1-2 birds on duty on/inside a dense bush (usually inside and practically not visible!). Up to know I really don't know what approach to take for acceptable shot!

I know the photo is not up to the level of this forum, but the bird (despite only 10-11 cm long) is word of it - check the internet for the species, they are (very!) different in breeding plumage!

Attachments

• DSC_8920_DxO.jpg
    DSC_8920_DxO.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 71
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For those of you who wonder what I look like, here is a birds eye view of my grandson and me by a Peregrine Falcon, my wife and me by a Great Horned Owl and by the Falcon.

Attachments

• selfportrait_peregrinefalcon_3Q7A4760-DxO+Grandson.jpg
    selfportrait_peregrinefalcon_3Q7A4760-DxO+Grandson.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 58
  • selfportrait_greathornedowl_3Q7A4752-DxO+wife.jpg
    selfportrait_greathornedowl_3Q7A4752-DxO+wife.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 275
  • selfportrait_peregrinefalcon_3Q7A4789-DxO_.jpg
    selfportrait_peregrinefalcon_3Q7A4789-DxO_.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0