Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice shots Alan!
"Trouble was that most of the ones I saw were on the ground and not good subjects other than for the record. " - It just means you are more photographer than birder :)!
On other hand we can not discriminate the birds for theirs feeding behavior - some of them are really hard to photograph out of the grass simply because if really scared they use to land high and in the dark of the crowns of the trees. And I honestly think the best way to show the birds is in their common surroundings - for the House Sparrow it could be very well just an outdoor table:)!
Any way, I agree that bird on a branch and well out of focus background looks more attractive for most of the observers...
Here is a photo of a memorial to John Venn, the inventor of the Venn diagram for group classification, with some groups on it. You can choose whether you are in a single group, an overlapping pair of groups, or the triple overlap. And you can change your preference at any time.
Venn_Bird_Photography.jpg

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Here is a photo of a memorial to John Venn, the inventor of the Venn diagram for group classification, with some groups on it. You can choose whether you are in a single group, an overlapping pair of groups, or the triple overlap. And you can change your preference at any time.
View attachment 186987
[/QUOTE]
Alan, I think I'm on the very periphery of that black and just in the middle of the brown-red (or what ever color it is): I took the photos below when there was nothing else around. Be sure - any interesting bird popping suddenly nearby would completely take my attention from the scenes in these photos! I choose the Cattle Egret because it's my usual plan "B" in case of unfortunate days:cautious:! These birds are common here, white(!) and you just have to search for the proper angel/background/light/expression (could be in different order)... Bubulcus ibis - Cattle egret 14_DxO.jpgBubulcus ibis - Cattle egret 6_DxO.jpgrby would Bubulcus ibis - Cattle egret 10_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Hey ISv, if that is your "plan B - if nothing else is around" - you're a lucky man :) .
You manage to come close enough to them to capture all the detail in the bird - and with a good choice of lighting / angle / composition!
Choosing the optimal composition in my country is often difficult - with all the fencing and signs to keep out... (a necessity b.t.w. in a country the size of a bath towel with more then 17 million people on it ;)).
Another grey heron in the same field, emerging from hiding in a ditch:
HVS-7173.jpg
Sun was coming through momentarily, diffused by some clouds
(7DmkII, 100-400L II @ 400mm f/5.6, ISO200)
W.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PLAN B! Well stated I'm mostly plan C with seldom B.

For those that may not know/care the National Geographic site is eliminating "Your Shot" (see my personal link). I/we are devastated and there is a petition that is being signed in case any here would add their names. Here is the link.

This is Disney taking over National Geographic so one can only assume there is worse coming.

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Alan, I think I'm on the very periphery of that black and just in the middle of the brown-red (or what ever color it is): I took the photos below when there was nothing else around. Be sure - any interesting bird popping suddenly nearby would completely take my attention from the scenes in these photos! I choose the Cattle Egret because it's my usual plan "B" in case of unfortunate days:cautious:! These birds are common here, white(!) and you just have to search for the proper angel/background/light/expression (could be in different order)... View attachment 187033View attachment 187031rby would View attachment 187032
They are all very interesting and nicely posed shots!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
View attachment 186987
Alan, I think I'm on the very periphery of that black and just in the middle of the brown-red (or what ever color it is): I took the photos below when there was nothing else around. Be sure - any interesting bird popping suddenly nearby would completely take my attention from the scenes in these photos! I choose the Cattle Egret because it's my usual plan "B" in case of unfortunate days:cautious:! These birds are common here, white(!) and you just have to search for the proper angel/background/light/expression (could be in different order)... View attachment 187033View attachment 187031rby would View attachment 187032
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, you see a bird and the dinosaur ancestry peeks through; for me it did in that first photo for some reason.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Hey ISv, if that is your "plan B - if nothing else is around" - you're a lucky man :) .
You manage to come close enough to them to capture all the detail in the bird - and with a good choice of lighting / angle / composition!
Choosing the optimal composition in my country is often difficult - with all the fencing and signs to keep out... (a necessity b.t.w. in a country the size of a bath towel with more then 17 million people on it ;)).
Another grey heron in the same field, emerging from hiding in a ditch:
View attachment 187034
Sun was coming through momentarily, diffused by some clouds
(7DmkII, 100-400L II @ 400mm f/5.6, ISO200)
W.
Wiebe, these are all around here and in some places (like parks and beaches) they are something close to the House sparrow: they are used to be +/- close to people. This, and the kind of personality they use to display time to time makes them good "plan B" (when for example you didn't find your bird of interest or you are waiting - in hope - for it:)).
Anyway - good bird if you don't want to go home with empty memory card;)!

Upvote 0
Anytime you leave with at least one sequence you are happy with is a good day. Sitting in the mud tonight it was pretty quiet as the tide was still draining from the inlet and there was not much to keep the wildlife active. I had a group of Killdeer, a couple of Black Bellied Plovers, and some Western Sandpipers at various places but nothing super interesting until just before the sun set. A Greater Yellowlegs wandered up from behind, and fortunately for me, turned and caught a fish at a great angle for the remaining light.
SDR70015-X3.jpg

1DX K II 600 f/4 II 1.4X III 1/500 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000 @840mm

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Anytime you leave with at least one sequence you are happy with is a good day. Sitting in the mud tonight it was pretty quiet as the tide was still draining from the inlet and there was not much to keep the wildlife active. I had a group of Killdeer, a couple of Black Bellied Plovers, and some Western Sandpipers at various places but nothing super interesting until just before the sun set. A Greater Yellowlegs wandered up from behind, and fortunately for me, turned and caught a fish at a great angle for the remaining light.
SDR70015-X3.jpg

1DX K II 600 f/4 II 1.4X III 1/500 : f/6.3 : ISO 1000 @840mm
Really nice!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
OK! My response: we were few friends going to the beach today (one of us had a birthday!). Together with the rest (wife, children and so on...) rather big company. My particular goal was (because of the low tide at the hours we got there...) were the Wandering Tattler and eventually Night Heron fishing. Surprisingly for me we saw the Wandering Tattler just +/-5-8 minutes of the walk! And there were two Night Herons watching the water just ~70-100 yards away!
There are some days like this - you are just lucky and not just by single point. I got both my goals for a nothing of time - and was happy to enjoy the beer in the rest of the time:p!DSC_4111_DxO.jpgDSC_4113_DxO.jpgDSC_4155_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0