Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Isv makes gentle hints that are useful. Feedback is welcome when it makes positive suggestions of how to improve an image.
I have no idea how gentle my suggestions (it will differ from person to person I think) are but if they work - I would keep that language:)!
BTW Alan, with you it's easier - you rarely post ready for critique photos and to critique you should not be that destructive. In some other cases I'm strongly "pass" (despite I really would like to give some useful, at least from my point of view advise - and BTW not to show up, if I want to show up I prefer to post some photos... well, not all of them are... hmmm... let say good advise:LOL:)!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Actually the male Bufflehead duck is more colorful with green and purple head and a large white patch on the back of its head. Its color pattern is too contrasty. Exposing for white, the head will be total black and exposing for the head will blow the highlights. In this one I tried the latter to record the glossy green purple head.
View attachment 187208
Well, if you like that colors, lack of details in highlights (because you choose pure white = no recoverable detail) and eventually high saturation and may be contrast (not sure you have added the last two in PP:) - than it's just your "artistic" expression, and I think it's OK! Not my style but you shouldn't care about my style - any way it's mine:)!
Any way, what I would like to say is that I have hard time to ID the bird (not big deal if you are not in the birding) but it shouldn't be necessary problem for you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Bit soft i wonder if it would be good idea stop to 8 and use higher iso? f5,6 and 800 iso now
They are very nice photos. I think you might be limited by the sharpness of the lens. They are reasonably sharp but I tried out the 70-300mm this week and found it not up to the 100-400mm II at 300mm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0