Show your Bird Portraits

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
So - how many of you have an area that you return to and visit the same bird over and over again for years?

Meet Al. We first got to meet Al in 2015 and have gotten to visit him again in 2017, 18, and 19. He's probably there this year too but we aren't camping this year so we don't know.

He got his name because as we were getting set up in our favorite campsite down at Deception Pass, my wife started yelling to me from the other side of the camper. I thought she was saying there was a guy named Al in our campsite but she was actually saying "there's an Owl in the campsite."

Every time we see him he's a stone's throw from where we saw him the first time. The campsite is just down the street from the house so we drive by all the time to see if we can see him. It's always fun when he's there.

Anyway - here's Al. I'll post some more of him down the road. TBH these are some of the worst of the collection.

8E7A5555 DxO-studio.JPG

8E7A5554 DxO-studio.JPG

8E7A5564 DxO-studio.JPG

8E7A5566 DxO-studio.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
You can't get enough of him! And neither would I if I could be so lucky.

You’re right Alan. When we’re out and about doing normal daily stuff we’ll drive through this area just to see if we can spot him. Right after I got my EOS-R we were camping one spot over from this one and he was sitting back under the trees that are in the background of these photos. I got to shoot the EOS-R and 5D4 with the 560mm 100-400 combo back to back. He just sat there and watched while I switched the lenses.

Usually you’ll hear the robins going nuts if he’s around.

Can’t wait to introduce him to the R5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's the abbreviation for Grievous Bodily Harm, a criminal offence over here. The bird is also a Grey Heron here.
It's the Great Blue Heron Alan - note the rusty-brown spot at the shoulder. There is also difference in the coloration on the nec - not visible in the photo. Otherwise very similar...

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I haven't been here for a wile and missed bunch of very nice (up to great!) photos... We are locked again (trails and beaches + sites that I don't use to frequent:)) and there were just 1-2 places where I can go to shoot. "My" White Tern is already flying, here is a photo of the last stage of checking the wings, and the parents ready to give some lessons in fishing.
After that a photos of White-Rumped Shama - strange looking but at home I figure out that by some reasons it is just changing the feathers around the head (in the field I was thinking - leucistic:))!

DSC_0698_DxO.jpg
DSC_0468_DxO.jpg
DSC_1042_DxO.jpg
DSC_1105_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Lovely shots, Cog.
d055.gif

Upvote 0