Qatar
Very nice pictures. Well done, Cog.
d055.gif
Thank you, Click!

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
I've used the 100-400mm II + 1.4xTCIII on the 5DIV and it's fine for BIF - within the usual limitations of the 5DIV....The R has had a poor reputation for BIF, but the R5 is a great leap forward.
100-400mm II (+ 1.4xTCIII) + 5DIV is what I use for BIF, too. No complains. Just wanted to see how Canon mirrorless camera copes with it. I've had bad luck with Olympus om-d1 m2 + 300mm when I shoot BIF, but I love this combo for static birds. I guess Canon R is kind of the same story. And I'm also curious about R5.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Out of curiosity, I tried my 100-400 II with a 1.4 extender on a Canon R. I liked the AF on birds, but BIF experience disappointed me. AF was VERY slow.
Some plovers lurking among mangrove sprouts.

Beautiful photos, Cog! The mangrove spikes would be really hard on the AF to follow the bird. Did you use with animal eye servo AF, or MF for it?

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Beautiful photos, Cog! The mangrove spikes would be really hard on the AF to follow the bird. Did you use with animal eye servo AF, or MF for it?
Thank you! I don't often use this camera, I just rent it from time time from a friend of mine. I'm not sure if Canon R has animal eye AF. I thought it was the R5 feature. So it was regular one point Servo AF because the bird was constantly moving.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
@Cog: Exactly. EOS R does not have animal eye AF.

I checked firmware history at

and there was not a reference to animal eye AF for any firmware release up to current (1.7.0)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
We got here the first migratory birds with 2-3 interesting (I mean rare for the Islands) guests. My first encounter with the Lesser Yellowlegs! Not very good photos but the bird was keeping a distance over that warm swamp. These are coming here almost every year but in small numbers (usually as 1-3) and don't stay for long.
Anyway - these are my first photos of the species!DSC_2175_DxO.jpgDSC_3045_DxO.jpgDSC_1669_DxO.jpgDSC_1670_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful series, ISv.
d055.gif
Thanks Click! You are supportive as always but I would like to get better photos of this one (and few others that come time to time to that place). There are many technical problems to get closer to the birds there (and maybe it's the reason why they love that place:)), and practically impossible to change the angle of shooting. I was not able to follow the bird after taking off because the brush left of me (but it was doing +/- good hide before that). With the heat haze from the water it's also hard - these birds are not necessarily staying there during the "winter" season (August and usually the first half of September are the hottest here)...
Anyway after a few months I got something new for me - like fresh air in the cave!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just for fun. Horrible quality and taken from a mile away.

Crab - it's what's for dinner.

WOW! Mile away?!!!!

Let's estimate the distance, assuming the eagle is ~90 cm long.
For the closest distance, if Bert was showing the full image, downsized by the website to the usual 2048 px wide, and his 100-400mm II at 400mm, then the calculated distance is 80m or 0.05 miles.
At the other extreme, suppose he was using an R5 with the lens at 560mm with his TC, and he had cropped the image to 2048 px, then the distance would be 450m or 0.28 miles.
A slight exaggeration, or just poetic licence.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Shots from last weekend two different locations. (EOS-R + Sigma 60-600mm).
A lesser yellowlegs sandpiper flying away.
View attachment 192582
And another two searching for food.
View attachment 192583
bhf3737 - I like your shots but I have some problems with the ID: these two species are really hard (if hard is enough!) but in generally the Lesser Yellowlegs have dark bill from the base to the point (or almost). From your photos I see bills lighter at the base (actually almost 1/2 of the bill) what is a feature of the Greater Yellow legs. The bill itself is kind of longer than one the Lessers will have - the Greaters have it. The slightly uplifted bill of the Greaters is not always seen! Good feature is the size of the bird if you can compare it with something (not helping in this case, except you did measure the size of the stones around:)). If I'm right and you have the Greater Yellowlegs - I'm really jellos: these are very rare vagrants here... I'm not sure I will see one in my lifespan:cry:!
Good photos anyway!

Upvote 0