Show your Bird Portraits

I have never ever seen a Wood Duck. Are those colours typical?
Yes, the male wood ducks are really beautiful and colorful, specifically in good light. My favorite ducks are these and the Harlequins. I haven't changed the color of this picture. I only increased clarity in Lightroom and added a little bit sharpness with Topaz studio.

Upvote 0
Wow - I can't imagine having such a sharp image with any more vibrant natural color than this photo has!
That guy was diving and coming out so I guess a shiny glaze was there at that moment with sun at the back. A few minutes later another one at a close spot but facing the sun looks a bit different.
20200922 858b.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, the male wood ducks are really beautiful and colorful, specifically in good light. My favorite ducks are these and the Harlequins. I haven't changed the color of this picture. I only increased clarity in Lightroom and added a little bit sharpness with Topaz studio.
I wish we had some over here to brighten things up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Still getting a feel for the 100-500L. It's clearly the best long zoom I've used. I believe it matches the 100-400L--sharpness, clarity, color rendition--and gives you an additional 100mm to boot in an extremely compact package. My hit rate for BIF shots has also improved.

It was a bit of an overcast day with intermittent rain showers. That actually established a mood that I don't normally capture.

Here is the majestic ahinga. It can often look goofy when it spreads it wing and points its beak to the sky, but this pose highlights its beauty.
View attachment 192828

I normally don't shoot small birds, so this was different for me. Here is a yellow warbler being rather attentive.
View attachment 192818

This one's more relaxed.
View attachment 192817

Here is a male common yellow throat. I love the black mask on his face.
View attachment 192813

Cardinals are probably my most-shot bird, but mostly in my backyard. This wet one is one of my few shots in the wild.
View attachment 192809

I employed a slightly different processing method with this great blue. I'm trying to decide if I like it.
View attachment 192826

Snowy egrets are fairly common here, but I really like the background.
View attachment 192823

A couple more cavorting around in the trees.
View attachment 192825

I normally avoid vultures, but these black vultures are moving through the area, and they are more interesting looking than the more common turkey vultures in the area.
View attachment 192824
Great shots!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Brown Noddy on a Pelican, Galapagos. Would the R5 be confused? And the Brown Noddy flying. The good old 5DSR and 100-400mm II is not bad for BIF. It's slow fps actually makes it a lot easier to select shots at the end of the day - I am taking far too many short fast burst and racking up too many with my newer bodies.3Q7A5375-DxO_brown_noddy_tern_on_pelican_small.jpg3Q7A5404-DxO_brown_noddy_flying.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0