Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here's another one, a Coal Tit from yesterday. I rarely see these tiny birds and it was in my apple tree, and I had to shoot it through ugly double glazing. Also, I was testing the 5DSR and it was so gloomy that it needed iso 6400 and f/4. This is a 100% crop from the centre, OK for the record.
View attachment 195337
Got a better shot today from outside and with the 2xTC on. Again, the bad light doesn't help and the bird doesn't keep still for more than a second or two.

309A2717DxO-Coal_tit_800mm_60L-lsss.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Very Nice Alan! so are they all common to your area as you said the Blue Tit was?
The birds I see most frequently in my garden are Blue Tits, Great Tits, Longtailed Tits and now Coal Tits. Several finches; Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch being the most common and now to my delight Bullfinches. Blackcaps occasionally, and Chiffchaffs will come in the spring. Two species of woodpeckers, the Great Spotted and Green, visit regularly, as does a Jay, and there is an abundance of Blackbirds, Dunnocks and Robins, and unfortunately, Magpies and Crows. Rare visitors like a Sparrowhawk and Little Egrets are welcome, and Buzzards circle overhead. Starlings and Woodpigeons are usually around. I don't like the pigeons because they are so skittish they scare the other birds into flying off when they see me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The young Tricolored Heron had started following the fish out as the tidal inlet drained and would go several feet before pivoting around to scan for potential snacks. Of course it was too close for me to get everything in the frame @840.
SD13833-4K.jpg

R5 600 II w/1.4X 1/2500 : f/7.1 : ISO 1000

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
The birds I see most frequently in my garden are Blue Tits, Great Tits, Longtailed Tits and now Coal Tits. Several finches; Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Chaffinch being the most common and now to my delight Bullfinches. Blackcaps occasionally, and Chiffchaffs will come in the spring. Two species of woodpeckers, the Great Spotted and Green, visit regularly, as does a Jay, and there is an abundance of Blackbirds, Dunnocks and Robins, and unfortunately, Magpies and Crows. Rare visitors like a Sparrowhawk and Little Egrets are welcome, and Buzzards circle overhead. Starlings and Woodpigeons are usually around. I don't like the pigeons because they are so skittish they scare the other birds into flying off when they see me.
Interesting, I'd never realized there was such a difference between the UK and the northeastern US in which birds are common or exist at all until seeing your posts, Alan. And I had lived in the UK for nine months, but in an urban area. I'd assumed we had mostly similar birds, but it seems that there are more differences than similarities. Quite interesting to see the birds you have. I'm in Connecticut, and our feeder attracts mostly black-capped chickadees, tufted titmice, American goldfinches, housefinches, white- and red-breasted nuthatches, sparrows (much less common than when I was young), red-winged blackbirds (we back up on a wetland), downy, red-bellied, and hairy woodpeckers, blue-jays, juncos in the winter. Also, not at the feeder, American robins from spring through autumn, and occasional pileated woodpeckers and northern flickers. Crows, starlings, and grackles also. And some raptors (red-tailed hawks, etc.) and turkey vultures (those mostly circle above, but they do land in our trees sometimes).

Edit: And how could I forget, northern cardinals, usually in pairs. And for the last 3 or 4 years a couple of barred owls from spring through autumn (they're not supposed to be migratory, but we never see them in winter). I'm sure I've forgotten some, and the list above is probably biased towards more interesting birds - we hadn't ever seen a northern flicker until just a few years ago, but now we see them quite a few times each summer. Same with the owls.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Interesting, I'd never realized there was such a difference between the UK and the northeastern US in which birds are common or exist at all until seeing your posts, Alan. And I had lived in the UK for nine months, but in an urban area. I'd assumed we had mostly similar birds, but it seems that there are more differences than similarities. Quite interesting to see the birds you have. I'm in Connecticut, and our feeder attracts mostly black-capped chickadees, tufted titmice, American goldfinches, housefinches, white- and red-breasted nuthatches, sparrows (much less common than when I was young), red-winged blackbirds (we back up on a wetland), downy, red-bellied, and hairy woodpeckers, blue-jays, juncos in the winter. Also, not at the feeder, American robins from spring through autumn, and occasional pileated woodpeckers and northern flickers. Crows, starlings, and grackles also. And some raptors (red-tailed hawks, etc.) and turkey vultures (those mostly circle above, but they do land in our trees sometimes).

Edit: And how could I forget, northern cardinals, usually in pairs. And for the last 3 or 4 years a couple of barred owls from spring through autumn (they're not supposed to be migratory, but we never see them in winter). I'm sure I've forgotten some, and the list above is probably biased towards more interesting birds - we hadn't ever seen a northern flicker until just a few years ago, but now we see them quite a few times each summer. Same with the owls.
I am envious, really envious. What a nice selection.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Here is a moment for me to record and treasure. For the half of CR that live in the Yukon where it snows every day, it's absolutely nothing. But, it snowed here for the first time in about 12 months for about 5 minutes and immediately melted. But, I got it a few minutes ago. Also, I have just put up a new feeder with peanuts and it was being eaten at for the first time.

309A3070DxO_longtail_tits_birdfeeder_in_snow_crop_small.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today it started bad for me: cloudy and some (rather persistent!) rain around. Took some photos between the rain of some parrots from my lanai (first at ISO 3600, second at ISO 5000 - pretty much a stretch for D500 and I had to post them at very low quality). Later (much later:)) few shots of boring Night Heron (I'm sending just one). And the bomb in the between: Great egret - from the other site of the island!!! For those that can see it regularly: there were just 3 registered for Oahu and 5 for all Hawaiian Islands starting 1944! It's not my discovery - it was reported previously day or two and after that bunch of birders run there... Not good photos but I'm really happy! There is a problem with the logistics there: from one of the sites there is a net (preserved area for wild life) on the other site - private pools and tennis courts (only for members) and I was not allowed there... The bird has an obvious problem with the right wing and I believe it will stay there for a while... I have no idea what I have to try further - if they have an one day membership - I will probably pay for it (depends on the price...). Or, should I bribe them:LOL:? The "portrait" was taken trough the net - the bird came about 10 meters closer and low, no way to shoot above the net.

Well, the first photo of the parrot didn't make it - too big file (?!- it's less than 1kb on my comp). You see the photo at ISO 5000 and very reduced quality...

DSC_9669_DxO-2.jpg DSC_9856_DxO.jpgDSC_9744_DxO.jpgDSC_9761_DxO.jpgDSC_9785_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0