Show your Bird Portraits

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Took this on Tuesday in St James' Park, London. Thought the pelican was getting ready to launch into flight, but instead it spent about 30 seconds "dancing" and then went back to just standing there.

Taken on R5, with RF 800mm (f11, obviously), 3200 ISO and 1/1000.
That guys needs to my the Snowy's in Florida!! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
First, thank you Cog, for pointing out that my photos were too dark. I've (hopefully) corrected it with a new x-rite monitor profile (I discovered you can enter your target monitor brightness directly and now I set it lower to "40" with a temperature of 5,000K). Here is the continuation of the Winter ice photos (brighter):
(R5 & RF 100-500L)

House finch:
View attachment 197154

View attachment 197155

male Northern cardinal:
View attachment 197156

View attachment 197160

View attachment 197158

Caroline chickadee:
View attachment 197159

I hope the brightness is better for "typical viewing" - if not then please let me know.

Cheers!
These are great but your reds are a little too "hot". The luminance can be pulled down on the reds in LR and that should solve that.
Catherine

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Took this on Tuesday in St James' Park, London. Thought the pelican was getting ready to launch into flight, but instead it spent about 30 seconds "dancing" and then went back to just standing there.

Taken on R5, with RF 800mm (f11, obviously), 3200 ISO and 1/1000.
The pelicans there have their wings clipped so they can't fly away - they are captive birds.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
:LOL::ROFLMAO:: "Oh, and the crummy animal eye AF wouldn't grab the eyes!" May it could be because of too many eyes? And I don't want to ask about the distance:)! Seriously - are all that white dots on the first photo Snows (nice photo BTW)?! Few years ago when I met my first 3 (in group) I was so happy. Later (next year I think I met 2-3 more. Happy again.
After your shots I don't know why I was that happy:unsure:.
Doesn't matter - it's Hawaii here...
Easily a thousand birds. Some were White-fronted and there was the odd Canada Goose mixed in and no doubt other ducks too. They are not approachable at all and the first shot gives an idea of the distance - much further than I prefer. I saw white and thought, what kind of crop of weeds is this?

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
These are great but your reds are a little too "hot". The luminance can be pulled down on the reds in LR and that should solve that.
Catherine

Thanks, Catherine. I've reduced the saturation on the birds somewhat since the male Cardinals & House Finches have such brilliant reds. But I can try to reduce it and the luminance a bit further as well, but I only use DXO PhotoLab4 and I'm not sure how to reduce the luminance specifically for a red channel. If anyone here knows how to do that, please let me know if possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks, Catherine. I've reduces the saturation on the birds somewhat since the male Cardinals & House Finches have such brilliant reds. But I can try to reduce it and the luminance a bit further as well, but I only use DXO PhotoLab4 and I'm not sure how to reduce the luminance specifically for a red channel. If anyone here knows how to do that, please let me know if possible.
In the HSL section just choose red, then you can customize the range of that red and the saturation slider below it will only affect that selected color range.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
In the HSL section just choose red, then you can customize the range of that red and the saturation slider below it will only affect that selected color range.
Thanks, privatebydesign! That will help me a lot! :)
I just tried it - wow, you can really change local color areas quite a lot all by themselves!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
a050.gif
Cool shot, Alan.

Upvote 0