Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some other from today. A species that I came accross the first time and had to look after:
A female grey wagtail. And it seems she's got some offspring to feed.
Again very poor light. 560 mm, 1/640 and 1/1000, f/8, ISO3200.
But lovely reflections :)

View attachment 197345

View attachment 197346
Lovely colours! The first one is especially fine. I always think it's unfair calling the Grey Wagtail grey, but there is a Yellow Wagtail.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Lovely colours! The first one is especially fine.
Thanks a lot, Alan! It was really tricky to get the right WB here as for the cloudy sky. And I admit that I slightly raised the saturation until it felt "natural".

I always think it's unfair calling the Grey Wagtail grey, but there is a Yellow Wagtail.
The yellow and the grey wagtail look quite similar and both have yellow breasts.
But the backs and the legs have different colors.
It took me some time and a friend at the LBV (Bavarian association for bird conservation) to be 100% sure ;) :geek:

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Lovely colours! The first one is especially fine. I always think it's unfair calling the Grey Wagtail grey, but there is a Yellow Wagtail.
The Yellow has a black legs. The one on the photos above has +/- pinkish legs (Like the Greys...) On other hand it has also a rather contrast scapulars and pretty white/yellow throat (like the Yellows but some Gray females have rather pale throat)!!! Go figure...
Maximilian, could you catch one of these and measure how long is the tail and also the legs?! These are legitimate features to separate some subspecies of the Yellow from the Gray!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I have no new photos from today. On other hand I was working for a wile on older (not that much!) photos... And got across of the Catherine's comment (page 1144 I think): "...But you got great photos of the "quiet stalker type" guy! :LOL::LOL:
Catherine
Hey, Catherine if the heron is the "quiet stalker" than who I am (and all of us - the bird photogs:LOL:?!). Just jerking - since no new photos to post:cry:!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The Yellow has a black legs. The one on the photos above has +/- pinkish legs (Like the Greys...) On other hand it has also a rather contrast scapulars and pretty white/yellow throat (like the Yellows but some Gray females have rather pale throat)!!! Go figure...
Maximilian, could you catch one of these and measure how long is the tail and also the legs?! These are legitimate features to separate some subspecies of the Yellow from the Gray!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Fully correct about the characteristics, ISv. That's what I've learned about yesterday.
Maybe I should add that the back of the grey wagtail is at it's name says of grey color.
Therefore the yellow wagtail should be called "brown" for its brownisch back ;) :geek:

As for your suggestion to catch and measure I would like to reply that this would be beyond my capabilities. :oops:
And I am proud to say that the times where I took out animals from there natural habitat have long gone since my childhood. :D
Today I'd rather put them back into their habitat when they enter my living room, for example ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yellow Wagtails bring back fond memories of precovid trips. Here are shots from in descending order: Cyprus; India (Mysore); Portugal (Iberian Yellow); and Tanzania. Good subjects for your ruler!Yellow_Wagtail_915A5882_DxO_Wagtail-cut.jpegYellowWagtail_915A9640-DxO_Mysore.jpgiberianyellowwagtail_2B4A1600-DxO_yellowwagtail_portugal.jpg3Q7A1337-DxO_tanyellowwagtail.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Fully correct about the characteristics, ISv. That's what I've learned about yesterday.
Maybe I should add that the back of the grey wagtail is at it's name says of grey color.
Therefore the yellow wagtail should be called "brown" for its brownisch back ;) :geek:

As for your suggestion to catch and measure I would like to reply that this would be beyond my capabilities. :oops:
And I am proud to say that the times where I took out animals from there natural habitat have long gone since my childhood. :D
Today I'd rather put them back into their habitat when they enter my living room, for example ;)
Ornithologists are doing this for many many years (and it's how we know what is what...). They use to catch birds and after full ID and if necessary - ring, they release the bird (well, sometimes it's little bit different: if it's a new species you need a specimen deposited in some collection - the type specimen).

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today I had to go to my Lab to download some files (I forget to do it Friday). As usually in such cases I took my gear with me. Happy I did:)!

On the west side of the Biomed building we have 6 Kukui nut trees. Five of them are harboring White Tern chicks - from one newly hatched to two fledglings and two (on the same tree) in-between as an age. Starting withe the in-between case.
I was just watching the bird TTL when something happen! No time to change the angle! Just don't know what is thinking the youngster on the second photo ("it's my fish, don't even think about it":D). The last photo is of the adult taking a few minutes rest after the good job.

DSC_6581_DxO.jpgDSC_6619_DxO.jpgDSC_6626_DxO.jpgDSC_6638_DxO.jpgDSC_6644_DxO.jpgDSC_6667_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0