Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
WOW! I didn't realize I'm so back following the forum! Spent a lot of time watching beautiful photos to get up to the current page!
The reason for this: just busy and in the rare trips to shoot I didn't get anything interesting.
Yesterday at the end of ~2h walk I finally got +/- decent photos of fledgling Scaly-breasted Munia. In my next post I will try to show why it is that interesting.

"I can't swim and it looks dirty. No going there!!!"
DSC_7337_DxO.jpg
"But I can get cooled different way - from behind! WHAT?!"
DSC_7383_DxO.jpg

"Well, not effective but I'm not going there anyway. Don't push me!!!"
DSC_7401_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Well - not so far ago I saw a photo of "African Silver bill" taken on Oahu (posted on eBird) that was actually a fledgling of Scaly Breasted Munia. It wasn't first time and I decided to show some differences in case someone from this forum is going to visit Hawaii anytime soon (or later?!).

Lets start whit the African Silver-bill" young adult (adults are easy, very easy to ID!

Lonchura (Euodice) cantans - African silverbill 2_DxO_DxO.jpg

Adult Scaly-breasted Munia

Lonchura punctulata - Nutmeg Mannikin adult 11_DxO.jpg

and the Chestnut Munia

Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 10_DxO.jpg

With the fledglings it's much more complicated and in many cases how you will see the colors depends on the light.
The African Silver Bill looks clear (or I may not got a look at very young birds!).

The Scaly-breasted Munia is discernible by the black bill (but you always can get some reflection from the sky!)

DSC_7401_DxO.jpg

The Chestnut Munia has from very dark gray to gray with blue tint bill. Be very careful about the light!
Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 11 Juvenile crop_DxO.jpg

And to make the problem deeper - the Chestnut Munia is very variable in the transition from fledgling to adult. I'm posting just one variant but they are many!

Lonchura atricapilla - Chestnut Mannikin 17 Juvenile_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well - not so far ago I saw a photo of "African Silver bill" taken on Oahu (posted on eBird) that was actually a fledgling of Scaly Breasted Munia. It wasn't first time and I decided to show some differences in case someone from this forum is going to visit Hawaii anytime soon (or later?!).

Lets start whit the African Silver-bill" young adult (adults are easy, very easy to ID!

View attachment 197822

Adult Scaly-breasted Munia

View attachment 197823

and the Chestnut Munia

View attachment 197824

With the fledglings it's much more complicated and in many cases how you will see the colors depends on the light.
The African Silver Bill looks clear (or I may not got a look at very young birds!).

The Scaly-breasted Munia is discernible by the black bill (but you always can get some reflection from the sky!)

View attachment 197828

The Chestnut Munia has from very dark gray to gray with blue tint bill. Be very careful about the light!
View attachment 197826

And to make the problem deeper - the Chestnut Munia is very variable in the transition from fledgling to adult. I'm posting just one variant but they are many!

View attachment 197827
A satisfying end to the day getting those nice shots of Munias.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A satisfying end to the day getting those nice shots of Munias.
Thanks Alan but I probably didn't express myself properly - only the fledgling of the Scaly-breasted Munia is from Sunday. All other photos are older (and taken with the zoom). The photo of the African Silver bill is may be the oldest. Later, when I found the right location to look for the Silver bill I got more photos.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks Alan but I probably didn't express myself properly - only the fledgling of the Scaly-breasted Munia is from Sunday. All other photos are older (and taken with the zoom). The photo of the African Silver bill is may be the oldest. Later, when I found the right location to look for the Silver bill I got more photos.
I am not sure I would have been able to recognise a fledgling Scaly Breasted Munia. I saw an adult and a Red Munia in Mysore 5 years. ago. They were both tiny images, the Scaly using the 5DIII and 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC and the Red by my wife with the 100-400mm II on the 7DII, which were too poor to post. But, going back to them and upscaling them 2x and using better software, they are presentable. We have had terrible weather here for the past month and very few birds, so seeing the beautiful images in this thread perks me up and gives an excuse to going back to old ones of mine and reprocessing.

2U4A2750-DxO_scaly-breasted_munia-2_00x-ss.jpg915A9531-DxO_red_munia-is-2_00x-sm.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
A Great horned owl's chick and her mom and dad. The baby was curious, mom was cautious and dad was on watch. They were taking turn and never lost sight of their nest. I found their nest by luck.
R5 + RF 800mm, ISO 2500 on a cloudy day and rather dark canopy.
View attachment 197815

View attachment 197816
View attachment 197817
It's rare for me to see an owl, let alone a baby from a hidden nest. Well done, bhf3737!

Thanks, also, to Cog, ISv, AlanF, Click and all the others posting here. Seeing your birds from distant lands is wonderful.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
It's been a great spring for Mourning Warblers in my area. In the last week, I've had anywhere form 4-6 of them daily, which normally you might find one. One of my favorite warblers!

Jeremy

first 5 are the male (last 2 without tail!)
last 3 are the female.

Mourning Warbler (male-spring) 188.jpgMourning Warbler (male-spring) 189.jpgMourning Warbler (male-spring) 190.jpgMourning Warbler (male-spring) 198.jpgMourning Warbler (male-spring) 201.jpgMourning Warbler (female-spring) 100.jpgMourning Warbler (female-spring) 101.jpgMourning Warbler (female-1st spring) 100.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I am not sure I would have been able to recognise a fledgling Scaly Breasted Munia. I saw an adult and a Red Munia in Mysore 5 years. ago. They were both tiny images, the Scaly using the 5DIII and 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTC and the Red by my wife with the 100-400mm II on the 7DII, which were too poor to post. But, going back to them and upscaling them 2x and using better software, they are presentable. We have had terrible weather here for the past month and very few birds, so seeing the beautiful images in this thread perks me up and gives an excuse to going back to old ones of mine and reprocessing.

View attachment 197837View attachment 197838
Yeah, in India they have different subspecies of the Scaly-breasted Munia - looks bolder than what I see here. The Red Avadavat (or Red Munia if you prefer)
also looks different. On other hand I still have to shoot one in full breeding plumage...

Amandava amandava - Red Avadavat Male 5_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
It's rare for me to see an owl, let alone a baby from a hidden nest. Well done, bhf3737!

Thanks, also, to Cog, ISv, AlanF, Click and all the others posting here. Seeing your birds from distant lands is wonderful.
Looking at the numerous photos of the Mourning Dove (and from rather close distance!) posted by you I'm also feeling jealous:)! We have some small number of them here but they usually are very skittish and I still have to get a good photo... Forget the White Throated Sparrow! You can't find it here!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0