Show your Bird Portraits

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
First shot with my EF 600mm f/4 III. Very overcast and rainy. But what a lens. This is the first shot I ever took with the lens. (tryin it out a bit) So nothing fancy

Canon EOS R5 - Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS USM III (distance approx 10-15 meters)

View attachment 197862
Great to see, Dockland! I might have to buy that lens.

Reactions: Dockland

jmeyer

http://www.jmeyerphotography.net/
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
www.jmeyerphotography.net
A change of pace from the warblers... I was at Horicon National Wildlife Refuge watching shorebirds Tuesday morning and 2 White-faced Ibis flew in. Wow, what a treat that was! Horicon is a magnet for birds like that, but they are still considered rare for our area. Lighting was terrible, but I think I did ok.

Jeremy

White-faced Ibis (adult-spring) 100.jpg
White-faced Ibis (adult-spring) 101.jpg
White-faced Ibis (adult-spring) 103.jpg
White-faced Ibis (adult-spring) 104.jpg
White-faced Ibis (adult-spring) 105.jpg
White-faced Ibis (adult-spring) 106.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Got a tip last night that there were Flycatchers in a local churchyard. There was a break in the weather this morning and I got shots of two Spotted Flycatchers which I assume is the nesting pair. (R5 + 100-500mm + 1.4xTC). First time I have ever seen this species.

View attachment 197869 View attachment 197870
I love that bird. Don't know why: there are many much more colorful and exotic-looking birds even in South-East Europe where I did my first (and so far last - 2019:)) photos. May be that humility... Edited: I have to try better (more up to date software) for this series!

Miscicapa striata-Spotted Flycatcher 1_DxO.jpg
Miscicapa striata-Spotted Flycatcher 3_DxO.jpg

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A change of pace from the warblers... I was at Horicon National Wildlife Refuge watching shorebirds Tuesday morning and 2 White-faced Ibis flew in. Wow, what a treat that was! Horicon is a magnet for birds like that, but they are still considered rare for our area. Lighting was terrible, but I think I did ok.

Jeremy

View attachment 197878 View attachment 197879 View attachment 197880 View attachment 197881 View attachment 197882 View attachment 197883
You did better than me: we have some of these every year (like 4-7, or less) but they keep in restricted areas where I can't go to close the distance (and the air is rather turbulent even in early morning for longer distances)

DSC_8152_DxO_DxO.jpg

Dockland

EOS RP
Nov 14, 2019
Sweden
Beautiful shot. Well done, Dockland.
d055.gif

Thank You Click. I know the lens is capable of more and better. Just learning a few things here and there.
I think shooting in full Manual is the easiest option, perhaps with auto ISO set on the camera. I'd like a shutterspeed around 1250 or above, and Aperture set to either 4 or 5.6 and let auto ISO do it's magic.

I think I'll try a 1,4 extender as well but i've some bad experience with the EF x2 III with my 70-200 f/2.8 III if I recall correctly. Gave it away the other week, but perhaps there's no image degradation with this lens and the 1,4 extender III?

Reactions: Click

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank You Click. I know the lens is capable of more and better. Just learning a few things here and there.
I think shooting in full Manual is the easiest option, perhaps with auto ISO set on the camera. I'd like a shutterspeed around 1250 or above, and Aperture set to either 4 or 5.6 and let auto ISO do it's magic.

I think I'll try a 1,4 extender as well but i've some bad experience with the EF x2 III with my 70-200 f/2.8 III if I recall correctly. Gave it away the other week, but perhaps there's no image degradation with this lens and the 1,4 extender III?
Thd EF 2xTCIII isn't as good as the EF 1.4xTCIII. You should find the 14.4xTC much better with little image degradation in comparison. By the way, the last bird is a Greylag Goose.

Reactions: ISv and Dockland