Nice shot, Alan.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
In addition to the White-faced Ibis I saw at Horicon the other day, 2 Red-necked Phalaropes flew in as well! These are uncommon to the area also. I just saw my first one a week ago and now I get these 2, at very close range! Amazing morning at the marsh.

Jeremy

Red-necked Phalarope (adults-spring) 100.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (adults-spring) 101.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (female-spring) 100.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (female-spring) 101.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (female-spring) 106.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (female-spring) 108.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (male-spring) 102.jpgRed-necked Phalarope (male-spring) 105.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Beautiful shot. Well done, Dockland.
d055.gif

Thank You Click. I know the lens is capable of more and better. Just learning a few things here and there.
I think shooting in full Manual is the easiest option, perhaps with auto ISO set on the camera. I'd like a shutterspeed around 1250 or above, and Aperture set to either 4 or 5.6 and let auto ISO do it's magic.

I think I'll try a 1,4 extender as well but i've some bad experience with the EF x2 III with my 70-200 f/2.8 III if I recall correctly. Gave it away the other week, but perhaps there's no image degradation with this lens and the 1,4 extender III?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank You Click. I know the lens is capable of more and better. Just learning a few things here and there.
I think shooting in full Manual is the easiest option, perhaps with auto ISO set on the camera. I'd like a shutterspeed around 1250 or above, and Aperture set to either 4 or 5.6 and let auto ISO do it's magic.

I think I'll try a 1,4 extender as well but i've some bad experience with the EF x2 III with my 70-200 f/2.8 III if I recall correctly. Gave it away the other week, but perhaps there's no image degradation with this lens and the 1,4 extender III?
Thd EF 2xTCIII isn't as good as the EF 1.4xTCIII. You should find the 14.4xTC much better with little image degradation in comparison. By the way, the last bird is a Greylag Goose.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Thd EF 2xTCIII isn't as good as the EF 1.4xTCIII. You should find the 14.4xTC much better with little image degradation in comparison. By the way, the last bird is a Greylag Goose.

Thank you Alan. It was a great evening light-wise. But a bit crowded.
This Sunday afternoon I’ll pack my gear and travel to the artipelag here outside of Stockholm to see if I can spot a bird of prey or two

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you Alan. It was a great evening light-wise. But a bit crowded.
This Sunday afternoon I’ll pack my gear and travel to the artipelag here outside of Stockholm to see if I can spot a bird of prey or two
I have great memories of the Archipelago from my first visit to Stockholm nearly 50 years ago when two of us very young scientists played hookey from a conference and took a boat trip. At my last conference in Sweden, at the Sånga-Säby Hotel & Conference centre, I took my 5DSR and 100-400mm II and got this shot of a Nuthatch in the grounds. I like Sweden.

nuthatch_3Q7A1325-DxO_best-sm .jpeg

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I have great memories of the Archipelago from my first visit to Stockholm nearly 50 years ago when two of us very young scientists played hookey from a conference and took a boat trip. At my last conference in Sweden, at the Sånga-Säby Hotel & Conference centre, I took my 5DSR and 100-400mm II and got this shot of a Nuthatch in the grounds. I like Sweden.

View attachment 197927

Nice photo, AlanF. Since you mentioned liking Sweden, I could mention that we usually spend the summer in the north of Sweden, near Skellefteå. We're hoping to get there this summer, but with Covid we're not sure about it yet. If you're ever in the area when we're there, you'd be welcome to visit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I love that bird. Don't know why: there are many much more colorful and exotic-looking birds even in South-East Europe where I did my first (and so far last - 2019:)) photos. May be that humility... Edited: I have to try better (more up to date software) for this series!

I'm very partial to our understated Western Wood-Peewee. Years ago I watched one build a nest and every year since they have returned to the spot. I really need to dedicate a morning to head out there this year to see if the trend has continued and maybe take some new some shots. Unfortunately you need a cloudy morning to avoid branch shadows.
KC01004_sRGB-X3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm very partial to our understated Western Wood-Peewee. Years ago I watched one build a nest and every year since they have returned to the spot. I really need to dedicate a morning to head out there this year to see if the trend has continued and maybe take some new some shots. Unfortunately you need a cloudy morning to avoid branch shadows.
KC01004_sRGB-X3.jpg
The nest is super! What a talented bird. :)

Jack

Upvote 0