Show your Bird Portraits

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Question for DxO users: Is the DeepPrime in DxO PhotoLab the same as the DxO PureRaw? I'm trying to justify the $129 price tag on DxO PureRaw after using the 30 day trial. I thought it was a great tool to reduce noise and provide a much more clear image in Lightroom. It seems you get a lot more with PhotoLab but if the DeepPrime denoise tools are available in PhotoLab I don't understand why one would spend the same amount of money on PureRaw.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Great set of photos!
Thanks, macrunning.
The 800 f11 turned out to be a really nice lightweight super-tele lens for distant (>6m) birding, especially if you only want to hand-carry a single lens & body for it.
I haven't tested it for bright specular blown-up background bokeh quality, which might have less IQ from the DO front element.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The second image of the Starling is fantastic! (And great shots overall of course).
Thanks, Dockland. Sometimes I never know which photos are going to resonate with others. I've taken so many, and don't want to show too many (well, I'm probably still too guilty of that already :rolleyes:), that it gets hard to know which ones to show and which ones to not show or else discard. The R5 animal eye AF is so accurate that I can just take thousands of photos and have at least half of them in sharp enough focus that it becomes a chore to sift through them. I used to use electronic shutter (20 FPS only allowed with it) to be silent, but it took too many shots while I held the shutter button. Now I use EFCS at the slowest FPS so I have much less to go through later. I might miss that 1 unexpected great shot, but I just can't deal with that many photos anymore in post.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
White-breasted Nuthatch
View attachment 198207
Beautiful sharp photo & smooth blurred background, Click. I enjoy seeing birds in unusual poses (like upside down), since it's different from what I usually see. I'm in the process of putting out a bunch of new feeders in my backyard, and one is for GoldFinches since they like to feed upside down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Question for DxO users: Is the DeepPrime in DxO PhotoLab the same as the DxO PureRaw? I'm trying to justify the $129 price tag on DxO PureRaw after using the 30 day trial. I thought it was a great tool to reduce noise and provide a much more clear image in Lightroom. It seems you get a lot more with PhotoLab but if the DeepPrime denoise tools are available in PhotoLab I don't understand why one would spend the same amount of money on PureRaw.
I don't know anything about PureRaw. Maybe it's there just as a plug-in for Lightroom? (I'm just guessing here). I do enjoy DXO PL4 very much as I'm not an Adobe user. But I have seen it bog down if you work on a folder with a really high number of images (for those cases I use FastRaw Viewer to rank & reduce the # of photos first), but I still end up using PL4 and am quite happy with it. I guess the question might be whether you want to consider an alternate post path instead of staying with Adobe?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I don't anything about PureRaw. Maybe it's there just as a plug-in for Lightroom? (I'm just guessing here). I do enjoy DXO PL4 very much as I'm not an Adobe user. But I have seen it bog down if you work on a folder with a really high number of images (for those cases I use FastRaw Viewer to rank & reduce the # of photos first), but I still end up using PL4 and am quite happy with it. I guess the question might be whether you want to consider an alternate post path instead of staying with Adobe?
No, I'm definitely staying with Adobe. I've been using Photoshop for 20+ years now! I also use Illustrator and Lightroom more recently. Was a web developer/designer fo 17 years too so Dreamweaver got heavy use as well and Adobe XD more recently. PureRaw is it's own application and provides a much cleaner .dng file to work with in Lightroom. Lightroom and Canon do not seem to be on the same page and the .CR3 files are very noisy! So what I found was I would use DxO PureRaw (with DeepPrime settings) for high ISO images and then import them into LIghtroom to make some moderate adjustments. I then bring them into Photoshop and depending on what I plan on doing may either work the image into a composite or what I found is I would still go into Topaz Denoise on those high ISO images to still clear out some of the noise and adjust colors/sharpness from there.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shots, usern4cr.
a025.gif

Upvote 0