Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
White Terns again: first one just sitting on it's egg, the second one... well I think the fish is even more interesting (Needle Fish) - I choose this photo because it's proving a Needle fish, not Half-beak fish (we have few species around from both families). I think it's a young parent: the fish was longer than the baby and was not accepted. Poor parent tried hard to feed the baby (I have no idea when it started but in my presence it was ~40 minutes). Judging by the shape of the fish it started long time ago (I don't think they go after dead fish)! Finally he/she ate the fish by him/herself :LOL:!
And Red-crested Cardinal - juvenile (adults have bright-red crest without darker spots).

DSC_7573_DxO.jpgDSC_7652_DxO.jpgDSC_7682_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
David and Goliath - Battle of hummingbird and bumblebee, sort of.
A Rufous Hummingbird is fighting with a much smaller bumblebee for a premium treetop real estate! It seems that the bumblebee is on attack and has got the upper hand.
R5+ RF100-500

That's a very nice shot. Well done!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
The Little Grebes have had chicks. For a couple of days they were hiding in the reeds. Today the largest pair left left them and were feeding in the open (R5 + 100-500mm @ 1000mm).

View attachment 198319View attachment 198320View attachment 198321
Nice pics, Alan. Curious...I see you using the 2x TC frequently. Do you find yourself using the 1.4x at all any longer? I broke down this morning and ordered the 2x myself, so until it gets here I'm wondering if the 1.4 will ever see the light of day again.

-Regards

Henry

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice pics, Alan. Curious...I see you using the 2x TC frequently. Do you find yourself using the 1.4x at all any longer? I broke down this morning and ordered the 2x myself, so until it gets here I'm wondering if the 1.4 will ever see the light of day again.

-Regards

Henry
Haven’t used it on the 100-500 since getting the RF 2x. It’s really good In decent light. The RF 1.4x is good on the RF 800.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I simply thought these two were "Pigeons" or "Doves" then I checked Wikipedia and was a bit overwhelmed :)

f/4 - 1/800s - ISO 2000 - @600mm

View attachment 198353
These are Wood Pigeons. HenryL pointed out the app Seek from iNaturalist (free) which identifies lots of birds. It worked when I tried it so you might find it useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
These are Wood Pigeons. HenryL pointed out the app Seek from iNaturalist (free) which identifies lots of birds. It worked when I tried it so you might find it useful.

Oh, I see. But it seems the app is search in camera only? On the distance I'm on nothing will be recognized in my iPhone camera I believe?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Oh, I see. But it seems the app is search in camera only? On the distance I'm on nothing will be recognized in my iPhone camera I believe?
I pointed the phone camera at my bird image on my computer screen and it worked fine. So, either use it when you get back home or maybe on the rear LCD of your camera when you are out, which I haven’t yet tried.

Upvote 0
I pointed the phone camera at my bird image on my computer screen and it worked fine. So, either use it when you get back home or maybe on the rear LCD of your camera when you are out, which I haven’t yet tried.

I've installed it. Tried it out on a couple of images and it's spot on!

Edit: Thank You Alan!!

Upvote 0