Show your Bird Portraits

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
If you prefer a crop version of the above.
View attachment 200308
I always learned that we are attracted to the lightest part of the image, first. For me, on this image, the birds eye is what grabs me immediately. Just for fun, I tried both the original and the cropped and "flipped" it horizontally. Any of the images are still great and I'd, personally, prefer the original.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
The upside of 20 fps is that sometimes you can get just the right shot in an action setting and it's great for making these little gifs. The downside is that you can get just too many shots to plough through. I went out for just a few seconds for the woodpecker and got 120 images. I don't know what I'll do if I am ever able to go on a safari or birding holiday. Self restraint and using ES only when necessary I suppose.
:)! "I don't know what I'll do if I am ever able to go on a safari or birding holiday. Self restraint..."

With only 1/2 of your fps I already got some external memory (1 and 2TB) and I'm searching for lightweight laptop or any thing lightweight with an USB port and at least 100-300MB SSD.
I just don't believe in my "Self restraint":LOL:!

• Haha
Upvote 0
:)! "I don't know what I'll do if I am ever able to go on a safari or birding holiday. Self restraint..."

With only 1/2 of your fps I already got some external memory (1 and 2TB) and I'm searching for lightweight laptop or any thing lightweight with an USB port and at least 100-300MB SSD.
FWIW, I use an iPad Pro with 512GB and a RAVPOWER filehub, not the fastest solution but it almost fits in your jacket pocket (big jacket needed and not included :LOL: )
I ditched the laptop option not so much because of weight, but because of it being easier to break/damage when stored in the backpack with the other half a ton of rubbish I usually carry.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I saw this Pied Wagtail a couple of days ago, and put it to one side. On looking at it today, I saw the poor thing had malformed feet.

View attachment 200314View attachment 200315View attachment 200316
Last Sunday I went out to a nearby beach park - no chance for something really interesting, just to keep myself fit...
First photo is another unusual Plover.
See the second photo - pretty much the same symptoms! The Avian pox can do this! Off course I can't be sure in the "diagnosis"... Any way very disturbing (I'm not sure I have seen this in any other migrants before!)!
After that is just a Wandering Tatler with some feathers from the breeding plumage on the chest, Cattle Egret and Night Heron looking down for a snack.

DSC_2042_DxO.jpgDSC_2079_DxO.jpgDSC_2143_DxO.jpgDSC_2177_DxO.jpgDSC_2206_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
FWIW, I use an iPad Pro with 512GB and a RAVPOWER filehub, not the fastest solution but it almost fits in your jacket pocket (big jacket needed and not included :LOL: )
I ditched the laptop option not so much because of weight, but because of it being easier to break/damage when stored in the backpack with the other half a ton of rubbish I usually carry.
Thanks a lot - I will check this!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I'm ruthless at culling - I bin everything except one or two shots of each bird from each session. So long term storage is not the greatest problem. It's the considerable time doing that culling that it is the problem.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I'm ruthless at culling - I bin everything except one or two shots of each bird from each session. So long term storage is not the greatest problem. It's the considerable time doing that culling that it is the problem.
OMG - the way the hard/soft ware are evolving now... Good luck! I use to briefly check and "choose" the first photos I like. It has it's advantage when you go "dry", no new photos and you go back to the old folders;):p - there is always chance to see something better than your first choice!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
OMG - the way the hard/soft ware are evolving now... Good luck! I use to briefly check and "choose" the first photos I like. It has it's advantage when you go "dry", no new photos and you go back to the old folders;):p - there is always chance to see something better than your first choice!
It's only very occasionally I regret not having kept ones I've discarded but I suppose I could possibly have backed up everything. I have done that for my safaris.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Last Sunday I went out to a nearby beach park - no chance for something really interesting, just to keep myself fit...
First photo is another unusual Plover.
See the second photo - pretty much the same symptoms! The Avian pox can do this! Off course I can't be sure in the "diagnosis"... Any way very disturbing (I'm not sure I have seen this in any other migrants before!)!
After that is just a Wandering Tatler with some feathers from the breeding plumage on the chest, Cattle Egret and Night Heron looking down for a snack.

Very nice shots, ISv. Thank you very much for this information.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I have enjoyed using my 5D Mark III for 9 years. I recently replaced it with the Canon R6. I have also enjoyed using it. Attached some photos and one of the few times I would have liked a little more focal length or more megapixels. But what really mattered was the scenes.
In the first photo, a cormorant lands and searches for balance on a branch. The others watch anxiously to see if it will work. The other two photos are young cormorants waiting hungrily and for food.

BE0A1344_LR1_frm.jpg
BE0A1485_LR1_frm.jpg
BE0A1488_LR1_frm.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have enjoyed using my 5D Mark III for 9 years. I recently replaced it with the Canon R6. I have also enjoyed using it. Attached some photos and one of the few times I would have liked a little more focal length or more megapixels. But what really mattered was the scenes.
In the first photo, a cormorant lands and searches for balance on a branch. The others watch anxiously to see if it will work. The other two photos are young cormorants waiting hungrily and for food.

View attachment 200350
View attachment 200351
View attachment 200352
Nice scenes. By coincidence, I was out this morning with plenty of reach: 1000mm on the R5 for the first Cormorant and 500mm for the Cormorant gawping. The 2x TC on the 100-500mm does give sharper detail.309A5144-DxO_1000mm_cormorant_LS-1.jpg309A5153-DxO_500mm_cormorant_gawping.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0