Show your Bird Portraits

Jul 29, 2012
Canada
I've been kingfisher-deprived since the beginning of covid. But, yesterday I found a kingfisher had moved to a pond where I regularly stroll by. Rather far away, but the 100-500mm at 1000mm gets some reasonable images. Stacking and blending in PhotoShop squeezes out a little more detail as they are at pixel-level resolution. (These are crops at 1px = 1px original (100%)).

I really like your shot. Beautiful.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I've been kingfisher-deprived since the beginning of covid. But, yesterday I found a kingfisher had moved to a pond where I regularly stroll by. Rather far away, but the 100-500mm at 1000mm gets some reasonable images. Stacking and blending in PhotoShop squeezes out a little more detail as they are at pixel-level resolution. (These are crops at 1px = 1px original (100%)).

View attachment 200690View attachment 200691
Could you post in more detail about how you did your computer magic?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Could you post in more detail about how you did your computer magic?
You can buy programs that do focus stacking, like Helicon. Quote from their website: "Helicon Focus. Focus stacking software: a post-processing technique that extends the depth of field in your photographs.To use this technique, you take several images of the same scene, focusing your lens on a different part of the object for each shot. Then you can use Helicon Focus to blend all the sharp areas together and produce a completely sharp image." I learned recently that you can do the same with PS, and I tried it out on dragonflies. You can do it to a burst of identical shots in the same way and combine them instead of choosing the best one and binning the rest. You load them as a stack, autoalign and blend. There are details available on the net if you search. To be honest, it made very little difference here but it works well for macro close ups when there is very little depth of field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012

Beautiful Alan - they are quite elusive

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm far from expert too but just Google "Marbled Wimbrel" in case you don't believe me...
And it's still very nice photo what ever you call it!
Lovely shot, Nicely done, BHF3737.
That is a really cute shot!
Thanks all. The second episode was a day later (today) where I could see the male Owl was alone and he was laughing his head off! Even there was is a smilyface on the leaf next to its head!! Below is the evidence. :ROFLMAO:
R5 + RF100-500mm.
20211010 1708-01.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0
English is not my first language either - don't apologize: I didn't even notice your "mistake" (actually what you are talking about:unsure:?). All I was talking about was the distance to the bird and I was really curious how it behaved when you where there (especially with these chicks present!) - just to learn something new...
Concerning the English - if the guys here with English as a first language start putting red flags on my posts - it would be very colorful :LOL:!
I can't remember how near or far the birds have been, as this was back in 2017. And there were so many birds, especially at Lake Manyara.
Maybe you can tell from the full image. This was at 300mm with a 7D2.
CR_IMG_5146.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I wasn't sure if I shall post this photo, as it is not a very good one. But I find the bird and the scene kind of funny and bizarre. I've never seen one of these before, so maybe this is also new for you.
The bird is called Marabou stork (Leptoptilos crumenifer) and the photos were taken in central Serengeti. You can find them sitting on trees and around water holes.

CR_IMG_4874.jpg
IMG_0355_DxO.jpeg

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Still one of the most beautiful little birds around :love:

Upvote 0