Show your Bird Portraits

Here are a couple more shots

Kestrels are very easy to spot around here and they get very close at times. The light in this shot was terrible as it was pretty much midday, but couldn't resist the temptation since usually they don't perch with such clean backgrounds.

The second shot is a bit of a rarity in this area and had the birding community all excited the couple of days it was around.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not very good at recognising small waders. There were some Dunlins ans Knots (Red Knots as they are called in the USA). They are rather similar in their winter plumage. The Knot is larger, about the size of a European Blackbird or American Robin, and the Dunlin about the size of a Eurasian Starling. They were far away from me on the mudflats off the coast Snettisham and I needed the 2xTC on the RF 100-500. I got some seperateley and then a Dunlin and Knot together, who seemed to stick to each other. It's difficult to judge the size at distance and the pair together really helped. They are quite well camouflaged. Top to bottom: Dunlin; Knot and a pair.

309A8120-DxO_1000mm_dunlin_vg.jpg309A8316-DxO_1000mm_Knot_g.jpg309A8270-DxO_1000mm_Knot+dunlin_g-sm.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0