Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I came from painting and feel by cropping down to see the details, we're missing out on the larger compositions.
I came from birding, and from your posts I guess we have converged and agree that both have their places: on the one hand the bird as dominant subject, on the other hand the scene, but composition for both.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Some bright sun early this morning, and I decided to wheel out the RF 800 (I was on my bike). I have mixed feelings about the lens. Even though it's lighter than the RF 100-500mm + TC, it feels a lot heavier to hand hold steady as the weight is further forward, and the IS is not as good. But, it delivers the goods and I was able to frame and get a sharp shot of a Starling in an autumnal setting (heavily cropped).

309A0852-DxO_RF800_Starling.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Another very nice shot, Alan.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Excellent photo as always Alan. Coming back from the second consecutive excursion I feel I want to rest (and PP my photos) so the

Thanks! I guess I had a wrong impression of the distance. I started searching dng images for metadata info about distance and I found a Pelican I shot at 75m at 500mm and I made sense of the distance.

Here at 100% cropView attachment 201214
and here the full frame:
View attachment 201213

So thanks for that. I was under the impression that the distances had to be closer. I had to read it to believe it was 75.

You may get the sense of the distance but you hardly can get a sense for the real conditions between the object and your lens: The temperature of the ground/water and the difference between that temperature and the temperature of the air above are of the most important variables of what I call "air quality". It's a complex of variables but these are the most important to me. Even at 20-30 meters distance with the same lens/camera you may get rather different (I mean very bad...) results at worst conditions. And even 6-10 meters in extreme conditions are something you simply can't (completely) eliminate no meter of what lens you are using! On other hand - at that long distances even not that big disturbance in the air could have a devastating effect on your photos - too much disturbed air between the object and the lens.
My point is that for these distances yours and Alan's photos are reasonable good but you hardly can expect the same results at different conditions (and it's not necessarily your lens foul).

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
You may get the sense of the distance but you hardly can get a sense for the real conditions between the object and your lens: The temperature of the ground/water and the difference between that temperature and the temperature of the air above are of the most important variables of what I call "air quality". It's a complex of variables but these are the most important to me. Even at 20-30 meters distance with the same lens/camera you may get rather different (I mean very bad...) results at worst conditions. And even 6-10 meters in extreme conditions are something you simply can't (completely) eliminate no meter of what lens you are using! On other hand - at that long distances even not that big disturbance in the air could have a devastating effect on your photos - too much disturbed air between the object and the lens.
My point is that for these distances yours and Alan's photos are reasonable good but you hardly can expect the same results at different conditions (and it's not necessarily your lens foul).
I remember 5.5 years ago I took some shots at noon and all my gear seemed like garbage. I used it in the afternoon and all was well :)

That comes back as an issue sometimes because I cannot always shoot only in the morning and/or in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Another autumnal shot, this time back with the RF 100-500mm + 2xTC. Chaffinches have been rare this year and last, but this male was on my apple tree for quite a while, allowing me to change lenses and compare with the RF 800mm and RF 800mm + 1.4xTC. Not much to choose between them in practice.

309A1560_DxO_chaffinch_autumnal_1_SHls-1.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Another autumnal shot, this time back with the RF 100-500mm + 2xTC. Chaffinches have been rare this year and last, but this male was on my apple tree for quite a while, allowing me to change lenses and compare with the RF 800mm and RF 800mm + 1.4xTC. Not much to choose between them in practice.

View attachment 201239
Beautiful Fall colors, AlanF!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Another photos of the Rudy Turnstone...
There was nothing more interesting on the beach that I walked today.
If there is something that I really don't like in 500mm PF is the rendering of the strong highlights in the bokeh: partially onion-shaped on the periphery, kind of net-shaped elsewhere (and it was expected!)...
On other hand I would imagine walking the sand of the beach with 500mm f4 -significantly difficult (but depends how much you have to walk there)!
The first photo I already posted before - Pacific Golden Plover, after that is a photo where I tried to soften at least the brighter spots (PF 5 I thing? - local adjustments). When that spots are not that much you have a chance to do something in PP.
And the last two are the Rudy Turnstone from today - that nasty spots are too much to even try:(!

DSC_3922_DxO.jpgDSC_3921_DxO.jpgDSC_4334_DxO.jpgDSC_4345_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If there is something that I really don't like in 500mm PF is the rendering of the strong highlights in the bokeh: partially onion-shaped on the periphery, kind of net-shaped elsewhere (and it was expected!)...
On other hand I would imagine walking the sand of the beach with 500mm f4 -significantly difficult (but depends how much you have to walk there)!
The first photo I already posted before - Pacific Golden Plover, after that is a photo where I tried to soften at least the brighter spots (PF 5 I thing? - local adjustments). When that spots are not that much you have a chance to do something in PP.
And the last two are the Rudy Turnstone from today - that nasty spots are too much to even try:(!

View attachment 201272View attachment 201273View attachment 201274View attachment 201275
All lenses are a compromise. The 500PF has the great advantages of being light and very sharp and you can carry it with you easily. But, its weaknesses are with strong backlighting and sometimes with highlights - a small price to pay. Nice shots anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Very nice series, ISv. I especially like the first picture.

Upvote 0