Show your Bird Portraits

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I don't think the results are too bad, but I couldn't figure out what to do with the "garbled" area to the left of the bird. If a solution strikes me, I may attempt to clean that up.
Yeah, it is much better than I expected, compliments. But I know that I am not good on something like that.
That "garbled" area doesn't disturb me that much. It's the tip of the crest and the part where the twig crossed the branch, where I see that PP magic took place ;)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Last week I finally made it. I got as close as I suppose I ever can without any camo tent or other camo. My guess is that I was about 15 m away.
These pics are from 5D4 @560mm cropped down to 3000x2000.
and it seemed I'd crashed a date ;)
First pic focus is on the left, second on the right
Strange situation that I took this pic at 20°C :cool: and now we have below zero and snow o_O (it's April 2nd, I know)

20220324_0067.JPG

20220324_0078.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Last week I finally made it. I got as close as I suppose I ever can without any camo tent or other camo. My guess is that I was about 15 m away.
These pics are from 5D4 @560mm cropped down to 3000x2000.
and it seemed I'd chrashed a date ;)
First pic focus is on the left, second on the right
Strange situation that I took this pic at 20°C :cool: and now we have below zero and snow o_O (it's April 2nd, I know)

View attachment 202948

View attachment 202949
You are getting closer! I haven't got close to one in over two years now. It's all part of the thrill of the chase. It's freezing here as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
You are getting closer! I haven't got close to one in over two years now. It's all part of the thrill of the chase.
Most of the time to me it is the wonderful feeling living in a place where these wonderful creatures live just 15 min away and to enjoy watching them.
But is is also the thrill of getting closer without disturbing and/or scaring them.

It's freezing here as well.
Of course ;) The Sahara dust came from the far North and the Arctic winds from the South :ROFLMAO:
I just hope that it won't stay too long. I was talking to my neighbour who is a hobbyist beekeeper and he told me that the bees already started breeding and would starve not eating but keeping the larvae warm.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Few from today's walk into nearby beach park: Pacific Golden Plovers are preparing to go North. Some are already in full breeding plumage, others not much (the second photo)
I don't recall posting a real portrait of PGP in full breeding plumage before? Here it is. The real surprise came latero_O!

DSC_0164_DxO.jpgDSC_0251_DxO.jpgDSC_0259_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
And the real surprise: this big chicken landed in front of me - no time to put the lens on tripod. It was a good idea because it took a fallen leaf, took off fast and landed on the shoulder of a man walking ~10-15 meters behind of me. PET!!! It was flying free, no rings and that was kind of shock for me... I asked the owner if he is not afraid to lose his bird but he told me - "it comes always to me!" Mean time the bird took off again and landed very close to me. The owner told me - "be careful, it looks attracted to your camera! I had a case before when it landed on the lens and scratched it! Shoot as much as you want but I advise you! I don't want this to happen again!" So, I just put the camera in the backpack and ... goodbuy! Sorry for the bad photo...DSC_0275_DxO.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Peregrine Falcon is brooding on her cliff ledge. The nest is over 60m away, safely on the side of a disused lime quarry, with a deep gulf between it and the footpath. You have to know she is there to find her. I took the 800mm f/11 on the R5 with me as it is lighter than the 100-500 + 2x TC, and the back is playing up. Nikon is coming out with what I am sure will be a superb lens in the z 800 f/6.3. But the budget lightweight 800mm f/11 is as much as I can hike with and good enough IQ for me.

309A1911-DxO_800mm_Peregrine_on_nest-ls-sh.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A peregrine falcon dropped into our back yard around sunset yesterday evening, with a mourning dove in its talons that it proceeded to consume.

"Peregrine's Prey"
View attachment 202968
EOS R3, RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM @ 500mm, 1/250 s, f/7.1, ISO 12800
It's not a Peregrine Falcon. They have yellow around the eyes, and quite different plumage, like in my shot above. It's a US bird, which I don't know first hand, perhaps a Cooper's Hawk. A Sharp-Shinned Hawk is similar but wouldn't be eating a dove, which the Cooper's do. And the red eyes and colouring seem right.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's not a Peregrine Falcon. They have yellow around the eyes, and quite different plumage, like in my shot above. It's a US bird, which I don't know first hand, perhaps a Cooper's Hawk. A Sharp-Shinned Hawk is similar but wouldn't be eating a dove, which the Cooper's do. And the red eyes and colouring seem right.
Thanks for the correction, Alan!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0