Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
We went to a spot where we know we will see Nuthatches. My wife had the R6 and RF 100-400mm f/8. Her photos were all better than mine and here they are: Nuthatch; Marsh Tit; Dunnock and Coal Tit.
Wonderful pictures, Alan. Thanks to both, your wife and you, for sharing them with us.
Please send my compliments to her.
If I had to chose one, my personal fav would be the march tit.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wonderful pictures, Alan. Thanks to both, your wife and you, for sharing them with us.
Please send my compliments to her.
If I had to chose one, my personal fav would be the march tit.
There have been some very nice shots posted here by others with the RF 100-400 f/8. My wife's shots reinforce what you can do with a 20 Mpx camera and budget lens weighing at 1.3 kg, at the lower end of the price range. I think the lens will pair very nicely with an R7 or budget mirrorless rebel. Whatever, it's difficult to beat when out walking for birds, butterflies, flowers, fungi and dragonflies.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
... I think the lens will pair very nicely with an R7 or budget mirrorless rebel. Whatever, it's difficult to beat when out walking for birds, butterflies, flowers, fungi and dragonflies.
I'll keep that in mind when my plan of a FF R travel kit with an RP successor and small budget lenses becomes more concretely. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Nice! Cute little bird. Great camo indeed.
It is just a bit bigger than a wren.
The funny thing is that if you've recognized it once it is easier to respot it the next time.
I've seen it at least three times since then. Most of the time too far away for a pic.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
The Laughing Gulls are regular visitors here (in very small numbers! - like 1-3 birds per year for this Island) and I never crossed my path with them. Sanderlings are much more common!
BTW - what time of the year and where did you took that shot: That more brownish plumage is what I would like to know - transition to the breeding? I'm sure the bird on your photo is a Sanderling!

View attachment 203024
My guess is it could possibly be just the type of light. Another possibility is simply minor differences in the birds dna based on locations. The images were taken in Dauphin Island, Alabama just a couple weeks ago (end of March). This is spring time here in the US. So possibly breeding season. Looking at your image it appears either early/late day and/or overcast skies. I was shooting in midday light as we were just traveling thru on a road trip. I've added another image of a group of them along the beach (mid day, full sun, no clouds). I did click (auto) in Lightroom. Otherwise no edits.
Sanderlings-1306.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I've been trying for 10 years to get a decent shot of a Goldcrest, Europe,s smallest bird, only 9 cm long and weighing 6 g. And today it happened.

View attachment 203059View attachment 203060
Nice shots Alan. I came across these buggers not long ago but they wouldn't sit still and stayed hidden within the tree branches making it impossible to get a decent shot. Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
As we pulled up to the Mississippi Sandhill Crane Sanctuary I spotted 2 Cranes as I hopped out of the car. I'm glad I took them because they quickly flew off. This was taken from 75-80 yards away with the 100-500, so not the greatest angle and it was about 10am so light wasn't the best. Regardless it was cool to capture them, as we had soon found out from the welcome center that their are only 150 Mississippi Sandhill Cranes left in the world! The welcome center was very nice. I only wish they had a longer trail system as the 3/4 mile trail felt rather quick. Wonderful time and the staff was very friendly and helpful in sharing their knowledge of this endangered species.
Sandhill Cranes-0998.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0