Show your Bird Portraits

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
Gone through my bird book and can't match this one to anything. Anyone know what it is? I'm guessing some kind of Sparrow but can't match the coloration. Location is near Vancouver, BC and taken yesterday. View attachment 203895View attachment 203896
Hi DanP,
Looks like female Black-headed Grosbeak, a bit more yellow than orange but that may be a question of white balance. Had similar "challenge" with juvenile Baltimore Oriole in deep canopy, my camera was set to Auto WB and could not get rid of the strong hue shift. Sparrow it is not, the beak angle, size and proportions are just not there. Nice photos!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Hi DanP,
Looks like female Black-headed Grosbeak, a bit more yellow than orange but that may be a question of white balance. Had similar "challenge" with juvenile Baltimore Oriole in deep canopy, my camera was set to Auto WB and could not get rid of the strong hue shift. Sparrow it is not, the beak angle, size and proportions are just not there. Nice photos!
Thanks ISO64. I do struggle with white balance under a green canopy.

Upvote 0

jmeyer

http://www.jeremymeyer.photography
CR Pro
Dec 11, 2014
Wisconsin
jeremymeyer.photography
Yes, female Black-headed Grosbeak. When struggling with an ID, try to start with simple things, like head shape, bill size or leg color. Try not to focus on a specific type or color pattern. Hope that helps for future reference. You can always ask as well, and I will help out. Thanks

Jeremy

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Pied Wagtail (R5/1000mm). Nearly posted in the insects thread... It's for shots like these you need the resolution to see the insects. For the first, I was at iso 1000 and 1/80s, which is much too slow for my liking. For the second, I upped the iso to 3200 and was at 1/200s, which is still slower than I like for 1000mm. All are cropped, with heavy cropping for the close ups.

309A8592-DxO_pied_wagtail+insects_full_back_cv_crop.jpg309A8592-DxO_pied_wagtail+insects_full_back_cv.jpg309A8623-DxO_pied_wagtail+insects_full_side_cv_crop.jpg309A8623-DxO_pied_wagtail+insects_full_side_cv.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
On my way back I notice this Night Heron and my first idea was: poor bird - it has a problem! I was right about the "problem" and very wrong with the diagnostic of the problem: in a minute it made a few steps further and SEAT! (it's not standing there, that pool is not deep enough!) in the water.
After this encounter I went straight home and first thing was to take a cool shower (hot and humid today!!!). :ROFLMAO:

DSC_2365_DxO.jpgDSC_2381_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0