Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today was another day hunting Oahu Elepaio (one of the Monarch Flycatchers on Hawaii Islands).
Finally found one (only because it made a call !- obviously the rest of family were around). Didn't see the rest (two adults and one juvenile are reported on that trail). Difficult birds - always (rare exemptions!) hidden behind of stuff and very agile for that amount of light - they are almost always in the shadows! These are from distance ~10 meters and for bird smaller than House Sparrow on 20MP sensor it resulted in ~55% crop. Also - very populated trail, once I heard the call I sprinted there because there was a noisy group coming behind - just to see two more people coming from the other direction (they were nice: stopped to give me some time!!!! - not the case of the other group:mad:.
Anyway - after the Juvenile I posted last Spring now I have my first adult (whatever the quality of the photos is!). Productivity of an one photo for nearly an Year is... well no productivity(n)
After that a Red-billed Leiothrix (photo taken before the Elepaio ~7 meters, size ~House Sparrow or slightly bigger). BTW - note the half black bill - subadult! (adults are with red, juveniles are with black bills - just an info...)

DSC_1845_DxO.jpgDSC_1852_DxO.jpgDSC_1820_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
Time for some summer Mediterranean photos:
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops), Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides), Eurasian Skylark (Alauda arvensis) [ and notCrested Lark (Galerida cristata), as initially posted - well seen and pointed out by ISv]
7D1 + 70-200+ 1.4 x III

Hoopoe has its main colour so well matched to dry, parched soil, leaving only its b&w stripes to look at :)

Hoopoe_4745.JPGSquaccoHeron_3915.JPGCrestedLark_4170.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops), Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides), Crested Lark (Galerida cristata)
7D1 + 70-200+ 1.4 x III

Hoopoe has its main colour so well matched to dry, parched soil, leaving only its b&w stripes to look at :)

Very nice series, ISO64.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops), Squacco Heron (Ardeola ralloides), Crested Lark (Galerida cristata)
7D1 + 70-200+ 1.4 x III

View attachment 207156View attachment 207158View attachment 207159
I agree with Click - nice series but I have to disagree for the last shot:)!
Not with Click but wit you: The Crested Lark may have sometimes and somehow damaged crest but look at the tail - you will see the outer feathers are white. For me its a Skylark - Alauda arvensis. For all Larks of that region (incl. North Africa and the Middle East) only the Skylark has white outer feathers on the tail.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0