Show your Bird Portraits

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Still overcast, still no sun. I'm starting to get a winter depression ;)

First decent photos for a while, bad light, AF is doing anything but not what I want.
But I wanted to post them because I like the nuthatch with the moss.
Use your imagination and think about sharp eyes ;)

View attachment 207382View attachment 207383View attachment 207384
@Maximilian I went out this morning (with R5+100-500mm) to where I know there are Nuthatches with the intention of getting a sharp eye shot for you. Here's your present.

309A0583-DxO_Nuthatch_ed.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
Like this Condor I got in the Andes.

View attachment 207369
AlanF:

In an effort to ask an informed question or two here, I took the liberty of downloading your image--100-400II + 1.4 TC= 560 nm focal length?

Were you able to see the antenna in the viewfinder while shooting? How far were you from the bird?

Or were you aware prior to shooting that the target was likely modeling an 'accoutrement'?

Or was the antenna's presence a complete surprise, discovered upon image processing?

If so, this is one of those sublime moments...one that I have experienced exactly three times in the past few years (twice with birds not in the center of the frame [and not the intended subject, partially obscured by tree branches and leaves, yet still in focus], and once when shooting the sun...and, upon work-up, finding sunspots).

=====

On a different subject (COVID and travel) you have alluded to:

We, too, are ready for a return to 'normal'. I fear the definition of 'normal' has changed.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
AlanF:

In an effort to ask an informed question or two here, I took the liberty of downloading your image--100-400II + 1.4 TC= 560 nm focal length?

Were you able to see the antenna in the viewfinder while shooting? How far were you from the bird?

Or were you aware prior to shooting that the target was likely modeling an 'accoutrement'?

Or was the antenna's presence a complete surprise, discovered upon image processing?

If so, this is one of those sublime moments...one that I have experienced exactly three times in the past few years (twice with birds not in the center of the frame [and not the intended subject, partially obscured by tree branches and leaves, yet still in focus], and once when shooting the sun...and, upon work-up, finding sunspots).

=====

On a different subject (COVID and travel) you have alluded to:

We, too, are ready for a return to 'normal'. I fear the definition of 'normal' has changed.
I had no forewarning of the bird or its equipment and had to shoot fast. I discovered the antenna on processing. It wasn’t an example of following the bird with binoculars and then bringing the camera to bear but a case of being quick on the draw as a Condor swept by.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Aw man, too bad about AF, the second one could have been really nice! I always get excited when I see one of those little guys, there is one across the street from where I work, but I have not yet managed to get close enough for a decent shot, let alone eye level like these ones.
Maybe I should bribe it with some choice kernels next time :p
I have many around my house, they love sunflower seeds.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Nice shots Cog. Really like that last one. Why do you post here if you don't use Canon? I don't care just curious to the reasoning.
Thank you! I do use Canon and regularly post my Canon photos in the thread. But I also shoot on Sony 200-600 because it gives me a greater reach. So I dump my non-Canon photos once a month in one post. Before doing this, I asked whether it would be OK to post non-Canon pics here, and people said it was OK. Sometimes it helps to compare what both systems can do.

Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
Getting up close with my Chestnut Backed Chickadee friends. Today managed to get one to land on my hand. They are curious little buggers and so cute.
View attachment 207423

That first one is just perfection. The pose, the catchlight in the eye, the light. Very nicely done, kudos.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Upvote 0