Apr 25, 2011
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Should be a goldcrest.
A firecrest has a more orange/red crest and a yellow neck.
A goldcrest has a pure green/grey neck (and pure yellow crest).
It is Goldcrest. The Firecrest not necessarily has more orange crest but has:
1. Broad white supercilium (the bird on the photo has somewhat pale cheeks but it doesn't make "supercilium").
2. Black Eye-strip
3. ~Bright greenish-yellow side of the neck

Edited: Actually the females of both species have yellow crests. The males of both species have an orange crest, less visible in relaxed specimens of the Goldcrest. The orange crest of the Firecrest is normally visible in relaxed birds too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Since I'm stuck at home because of some health issues and nothing else to do I started digging in some old photos. Found a folder with "strange name" - "Check carefully". Photos are from my trip to Bulgaria in 2019 (such a nice time - no COVID!!!!). Photos are not good, even after working on them with PL 6. But these are my only photos of these species (it means best of what I have :ROFLMAO:) and I'm happy to have them finally with more or less sure ID.
First one was labeled "P. trochilus" (Willow Warbler) but looking at it today I'm pretty sure it is Wood Warbler (what I was thinking back in the time I don't know).
The second species is female Semicollared Flycatcher. Very difficult to separate from females Collared Flycatcher especially if you don't see the entire bird. But even if you see it there are some problematic young females (1st winter) of the Collared that show second white wing-bar. The only clue in this case were the white outer edges of the tail feathers: Collared Flycatcher have them black. The photos of the Flycatcher are taken at pretty dark conditions with -1.33 EV to preserve the whites.

DSC_1441_DxO.jpgDSC_1508_DxO-1_DxO.jpgDSC_1511_DxO-1_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
One more missed opportunity for really nice shot - also from Bulgaria.
I took a snap-shot from ~23 meters and started closing. The bird didn't react negatively. At ~10 meters I knelt to take a photo but in that moment the dog of my friend came from behind and run forward and the bird was gone. I wasn't really angry until later that day I checked my photos and found what I missed:(.
DSC_1109_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I took a snap-shot from ~23 meters and started closing. The bird didn't react negatively. At ~10 meters I knelt to take a photo but in that moment the dog of my friend came from behind and run forward and the bird was gone. I wasn't really angry until later that day I checked my photos and found what I missed:(.
View attachment 208023
Still a very interesting shot.

Upvote 0

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
View attachment 208023
White-throat dipper, right?

I remember seeing it for the first time, it launched into flight from ice-cold mountain creek!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
White-throat dipper, right?

I remember seeing it for the first time, it launched into flight from ice-cold mountain creek!
Yes it is the White-trated Dipper. Actually there is no other Dipper in Europe. The nearest other species is in Far-Yeast.
Still a very interesting shot.
And Yes - they use to dive in the water and to take off from water.
Sorry I mixed up two different answers: macrunning, I really like that dog but that afternoon was exception :mad:. I love the background of that photo: silvery water and that nearly golden filaments of algae (Spirrulina I think).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sand Piper in Port Dalhousie by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Iconic Loon profile from too far away:

Loon on Lake Oudaze by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Torrence Barrens Common Nighthawks by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

Captain Jack Sparrow by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

For some reason this is one of my favourite shots... I can't put my finger on it but I quite like it.

The Unfairly Maligned Canada Goose by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr
I love the sand piper image at the top of this one! Absolutely stunning!
-Caia
Jacksonville Wedding Photographer

Upvote 0